The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunday, November 16

3 posters

Go down

Sunday, November 16 Empty Sunday, November 16

Post by smirkweasel Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:11 pm

Had an interesting game last Sunday. Tom showed up early in the day.
I played my British Rifle company against his German Stug company (with
a King Tiger in it).
My infantry had a hard time dealing with all that armor. I was able to
collapse one flank with the 17 pounders and two infantry platoons.
However, Tom reinforced the flank quickly with other tanks.
He hammered the other flank with one platoon, the 2iC and the King
Tiger. With only on AT gun left there was little I could do to win.

I will switch out the mortar platoon for a six pounder AT platoon. I can
that only one 17 pounder platoon in the company. Six pounders do not
have the No HE in late war so they can be used against infantry. With a
4+ firepower rating and rate of fire of 3, they are more useful.

Would anyone like to play this Sunday?

smirkweasel
Aspiring Champion

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Sunday, November 16 Empty Re: Sunday, November 16

Post by scurrdi Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:56 pm

Dave!!! Will you be there for the tournament on the 23rd?? We'd love to have you!!

Either way you should come by and maybe we can get a game in then! I'll be in town with my Americans!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkweasel Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:47 pm

Battle today at Sunshine. 1500 points Mid War. My British rifle company against Will's German tank company. Yes, Will has Germans now.

Will's company was 14 Panzer III J (Late).

My company was
2 Rifle Platoons
1 Pioneer platoon
1 AT platoon (4 x 6 pounder portees)
1 Infantry Tank (3 x Churchill)
1 Artillery platoon (4 x 25 pounder)
1 AT platoon (2 x 17 pounder)

Will set up the terrain.
I won the roll to set up and take the first turn.
The game had me on the offensive.

Carlos turned up early but did not bring his army. He watched the game and groused about how broken and cheep my tanks are.

On my right flank, one rifle platoon advanced with the infantry tanks. They
were facing about 6 Panzer III and the CC. On my left flank, the pioneer platoon and portees advanced up the edge of the board. The second rifle platoon held the center. They dug in at first to defend one objective, but I needed them to advance to pressure the Panzer III on my left. They advanced slowly towards the middle of the board.

A platoon of 4 Panzer III and the 2iC chewed up the pioneer platoon first, then the portees and then the 2nd rifle platoon (after they advanced), which pinned down. The pioneer platoon got close to the objective, but failed a platoon motivation check and fled. The portees fled a turn later. However, they took out two tanks before they fled. The 2nd rifle platoon also fled after they took out the remaining tanks in assault ( the Panzer platoon assaulted). The Panzer III 2iC remained on my left flank.

On my right was a tank battle. The Churchills had difficulty as the Panzers made good use of buildings to hide behind with storm trooper moves. My tanks were taking 12 dice to the front armor most turns. Sometimes with an additional 3 or 4 dice to the side armor. In return, I usually had 3 dice back (sometimes 7). The Churchills knocked out 3 tanks with the Panzers killing one Churchill with a side shot (the platoon commander). My CC moved up to assign a new platoon leader. This takes place in the shooting step so my tanks were stuck where they were without any targets (storm trooper move). My first rifle platoon got assaulted on the same turn as the 2nd rifle platoon. I wisely decided to withdraw the infantry (after one casualty) and wait for my tanks to round the buildings to assist in taking the objective on my right.

This was not necessary as Will had to make a company motivation check which he failed.
I lost 3 of my 7 platoons so it was a minor victory to me.

My artillery did not do much. They bailed out two tanks. Firepower of 5+ on bombardment sucks. Will easily got his crews back with protected ammo rolls. Twice they failed to range in. I began to wonder if they were artillery or aircraft. My 17 pounders needed 6s to hit when they had a target (except once they needed 5s and missed). A pity. Those things are scary when they hit. "No, no. Don't worry about armor saves. It's straight to the fire power check!"

smirkweasel
Aspiring Champion

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:59 am

Sounds like it was a hard fought battle. I was surprised that all he brought were the Panzers. They aren't that great, particularly the IIIs.

Did you ask Will if he was coming to the event/tournament for next week?

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Grombart Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:51 pm

scurrdi wrote:Sounds like it was a hard fought battle. I was surprised that all he brought were the Panzers. They aren't that great, particularly the IIIs.

Did you ask Will if he was coming to the event/tournament for next week?

What?!?!?! No way Panzer IIIs are the best!

It's not as if I ever said they were useless against Churchills and other heavy tanks.

Naw Rolling Eyes
Grombart
Grombart
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down