The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have some suggestions for a terrain piece?(my introduction to modeling)

+3
rollo
Warlord Solskritt
Eldarlord Lingus
7 posters

Go down

Have some suggestions for a terrain piece?(my introduction to modeling) Empty Have some suggestions for a terrain piece?(my introduction to modeling)

Post by Eldarlord Lingus Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:25 pm

I plan on holding a step-by-step instructional essay here for terrain pieces. I would like some suggestions on what you would like to see. I have some ideas of my own of course.....but I would like to do some projects for you guys. I could mail them off after I am done or just keep them....that is still to be determined.

So if you have some ideas...I would love to take a wack at building them and showing off some of my tricks and tips that I have learned over the last 16 something years.

My experience in the subject of miniature terrain building is pretty extensive. I prefer using plastruct pieces for 40K and plain old household items and glue for fantasy. I spent several summers when I lived in Miami at the Model Railroaders Association over by MetroZoo learning my techniques in scratchbuilding and I try to incorporate some of those ideas into the GW world of gaming. I am constantly researching new ways to accomplish the wonderful terrain you see in the pages of White Dwarf and ask plenty of questions via e-mail to the design team at GW. They have been more than willing to share little tid bits of info with me as I do contact them on a regular basis.

I prefer to use the less expensive method of creating the pices I have done in the past. You shouldn't have to spend a fortune on your terrain. The idea behind this is that I have become a packrat of sorts. I scour the clearance isles at places like toys-r-us and target to see if I get an idea and then I run with it.

Normally I plan a project in advance. Drawing it out in a simple kind of floorplan and then I go to work on the actual model. I will list all of the tools I normally use (nothing really exotic) and show how its done with detailed notes and pictures.

So let me know what you want to see. I have done some really good pieces in the past and look forward to producing more in the future.

Thanks for your time,
Troy
Eldarlord Lingus
Eldarlord Lingus
Master Constructor

Male
Number of posts : 25
Armies : Eldar, Vampire Counts
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Have some suggestions for a terrain piece?(my introduction to modeling) Empty Re: Have some suggestions for a terrain piece?(my introduction to modeling)

Post by Warlord Solskritt Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:21 pm

I'd like to know how to make some underground or Skaven terrain. Maybe like a captured dwarf outpost or a skaven built den. I also want to thank you for helping us people who suck at making terrain. Very Happy
Warlord Solskritt
Warlord Solskritt
Imperial Guard Commissar

Male
Number of posts : 1105
Armies : Rats,Uruk-Hai,Germans
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Have some suggestions for a terrain piece?(my introduction to modeling) Empty Re: Have some suggestions for a terrain piece?(my introduction to modeling)

Post by rollo Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:46 pm

i would like to see an ork encampment
rollo
rollo
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 268
Armies : sons of doubt chapter/ethereal high council guard
Registration date : 2008-03-04

http://www.myspace.com/honorandgloryrollo

Back to top Go down

Have some suggestions for a terrain piece?(my introduction to modeling) Empty Space Hulk

Post by Michaelharmon Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:05 pm

Myself personnally I would love to see starship corridors in the jenre of Space Hulk style 40k play.
Michaelharmon
Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 613
Armies : Black Templar, Grey Knight Terminator Squad, Imperial Gaurd Leman Russ support tanks and Hellhammer, THunderbolt Imperial Navy Flier.
Registration date : 2008-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldarlord Lingus Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:59 am

Warlord Solskritt wrote:I'd like to know how to make some underground or Skaven terrain. Maybe like a captured dwarf outpost or a skaven built den. I also want to thank you for helping us people who suck at making terrain. Very Happy

No problem man. I LOVE helping people figureing out the hard stuff. So do you want diagrams of underground undearground caverns and how to make them or what? Skave terrain is a little difficult if its underground. I have a few ideas (after playing Skaven for a while) but it needs to be like....thrones or like GW built..a
bell. But don't dispair...there is hope. I will come up with some ideas for Skaven city entry points and some trap-caves and share the diagrams with you.

Thanks,
Troy
Eldarlord Lingus
Eldarlord Lingus
Master Constructor

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldarlord Lingus Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:05 am

Michaelharmon wrote:Myself personnally I would love to see starship corridors in the jenre of Space Hulk style 40k play.

Dude! I am SO on the same page as you are. I have researched this and the time and money it would take to do this would be immense. I will do my best but my best suggestion would be to take the Space Hulk tiles and copy them...as much as possable. Then build up walls at a 30 degree angle. I'll show you some sketches I have in the next few days.

Troy
Eldarlord Lingus
Eldarlord Lingus
Master Constructor

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldarlord Lingus Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:07 am

rollo wrote:i would like to see an ork encampment

Not a problem...I can do ORKY Enkamps all day. they are simple and arkahic.....I'll draw something up this week or the next....but it won't be hard. Smile

Troy
Eldarlord Lingus
Eldarlord Lingus
Master Constructor

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Warlord Solskritt Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:49 pm

Eldarlord Lingus wrote:No problem man. I LOVE helping people figureing out the hard stuff. So do you want diagrams of underground undearground caverns and how to make them or what?

That would be nice! Very Happy Once again, thank you for helping us!
Warlord Solskritt
Warlord Solskritt
Imperial Guard Commissar

Male
Number of posts : 1105
Armies : Rats,Uruk-Hai,Germans
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:48 pm

How about some cool Chaos terrain for a fellow graduate of Arvida Jr high. Perhaps an alter to Nurgle or Slaanesh or a Warpgate.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:51 pm

Michaelharmon wrote:Myself personnally I would love to see starship corridors in the jenre of Space Hulk style 40k play.
Id love that as well. A scenario like the movie Aliens.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:36 pm

I'd like to see some cool looking Water terrain pieces that are like modular

Ya know like rivers, streams, brooks, lakes, and such

Also swamps or marshes would be really cool.

I think people get so used to the only 1 hill, 1 forest, 1 ruin type of terrain that they take the capabilities of their armies for granted.

Hello !! The battleground terrain should not be perfect. There should be mud, slopes, bogs, rain, fallen trees, and all of that shit on a battlefield .

Another idea I had was terrain featuring a bunch of maggot ridden, crow eaten corpes, to represent a lull in the battle, the dead have not been removed, and now the armies have to fight through the corpses of the freshly slain !!... Treat it of course as difficult terrain !
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Diosamblet Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:00 am

Yeah, marshes, bogs, and rivers would be awesome
Diosamblet
Diosamblet
Primarch

Number of posts : 672
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldarlord Lingus Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:21 pm

Well.. I am really siked at all the responses I have gotten. I will be getting most of my tools in the next 2 weeks and start on some of these ideas. I specificly like the swamps/bogs. I also have somethisg for you BILL. I got a warp gate and a Nurgle throne. As far as the rotting bodies on the battlefield.....well....dead bodies everywhere. I have a few ideas that I will try to get done before I leave for Korea on April 20th.

Just top let you all know. I get most of my materials from Pearl (www.pearlpaints.com), Plastruct (www.plastruct.com), or any hobby shop in your area. What I really like to do is scour the clearance racks at any store like toys-r-us or wal-mart for some inspiration. Also there is always JUNK....just common household items that you can twist and form into wonderful terrain pieces. Sometimes the simplest things are the best looking.

Troy
Eldarlord Lingus
Eldarlord Lingus
Master Constructor

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down