The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need suggestions

+3
The Eldar Guy
dozer
zephel
7 posters

Go down

Need suggestions Empty Need suggestions

Post by zephel Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:53 am

My gf is gonna get me a gift for our one year annervirsry and was thinking what you guys would suggest i ask, i'm looking at maybe getting a Warp hunter but not sure
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Eldar/ELDAR-WARP-HUNTER.html
Any suggestions not sure if it's anygood even though the model is pretty badass. was thinking maybe even the shadow spectres or w.e. they were. The jump infantry that have prisim cannons on them. But i'm looking for something around that price that I can use in regular games at the store
zephel
zephel
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 454
Armies : Eldar, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2010-09-24

Back to top Go down

Need suggestions Empty Re: Need suggestions

Post by zephel Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:38 am

SHADOW SPECTRES, any good ?
zephel
zephel
Dark Apostle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dozer Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:37 am

Upon a first glance at the rules I would say its not really worth it. I mean its taking a heavy support option that for Eldar is already full of other, better, options. Also the D-cannon fires just the small blast template, not the large ordinance one. That means with your BS3 you're going to miss more often than not with your D-cannon shot.

I like the looks and the rules for the Hornet, but to field them to have impact in any way you would probably need two or three of them.
dozer
dozer
Cultist

Male
Number of posts : 37
Armies : Dark Angels (DW, RW, and Greenwing), DS Skirmish: Chaos Cultists, Imperial Renegades, and Imperial Guard.
Registration date : 2010-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by zephel Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:44 am

right, if it was bs4 maybe even twin-linked i'd be much better I guess, what about the Shadow spectres? Its basically a anti tank jump squad. while yea they lose power per unit they love but if you get in range to devastate armor or something, you will have more then one shot in close range. So i guess they can work extremely well from affair and good up close. also i know it's basically a prism tank composed into units just without the combined ap1 str 10 shot, at least if they get shot and one dies, they will still be shooting unlike a prisim that if they get hit on a 4+ they become usless.
zephel
zephel
Dark Apostle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:03 am

Shadow specters are simply too expensive.

Too fragile. T3, 4+sv and 3-5 models. Dead turn 1. People dont' take warpspiders because they're too fragile/expensive and those are 2/3 the cost with a 3+sv and move faster.

12" range; Str 6; 1 shot. Won't do anything to armour, heavy infantry, etc. Should be 18-24" assault 2.

Long range shot is the only thing they have going for them and even then you're lucky if you go first and get one shot off. Still not worth the cost.

In the end you're paying 202-212 pts for one Str10 AP1 Lance or Str 9 AP 1 Lance + haywire launcher mounted on a squad in paper armor.

They do look nice and I hope when they actually write the rules for the book they take a second look.
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1571
Armies : Eldar(40k & BFG), Dark Eldar (WIP), & Dark Elves
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Quincilla767 Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:03 pm

How about you dont get anything from forgeworld yet and get some more eldar stuff for your army? just saying
Quincilla767
Quincilla767
Traitor Guardsman

Male
Number of posts : 111
Armies : Tau, Daemon hunters, Dark Elves
Registration date : 2010-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by zephel Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:11 pm

what else do I need for my army? the things from forge world are a gift and plus i have 29 jet-bikes now getting another 9 this Thursday/Wednesday. and my core army is going to be 40 jet-bikes and three tanks. All I would need to do is buy the stands and magnets over time, but that's not a huge necessity. what else would you recommend I obtain for my eldar army by the way? Cause I don't want to run serphant/ dragon combo and have like 9 serphants running around the field (No offense chris, Just not into having alot of armor.)

@ chris
Your right that with the way the experimental rules are written, they have to played with presicion but also, doesn't having jump packs allow you to deep strike into combat? And thi is out of random, but how well would a army with 3 slots of warp spiders 3 slots of spectres work? Maybe duel autarch for 2+ to reserve rolls? what should be troop, guardian jetbikes with locks and cannons since the movement of the spectres and spiders are pretty close to be able to move around the field without issues.
zephel
zephel
Dark Apostle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:43 pm

40 Jet bikes!? Don't know how strong they are in battle but it makes my head spin just thinking about trying to keep a bead on those bikes.
Dan
Dan
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by thehod Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:51 pm

I played jetbikes in the past. They can win but my main worries are things like mass MC where shuriken weapons dont do much damage and a strong deathstar unit.

Mobility is the key with the army and pack it with 2 bikeseers to make a small hammer unit.

2000 Pts - Eldar Roster

HQ: Farseer (1#, 170 pts)
1 Farseer @ 170 pts ( Doom ; Fortune ; Runes of Witnessing; Spirit Stones; Eldar Jetbike)

HQ: Farseer (1#, 180 pts)
1 Farseer @ 180 pts ( Fortune ; Guide ; Runes of Warding; Runes of Witnessing; Spirit Stones; Eldar Jetbike)

Elite: Fire Dragons (6#, 215 pts)
5 Fire Dragons @ 215 pts
1 Wave Serpent (Spirit Stones; Shuriken Cannon; TL Scatter Lasers)

Elite: Fire Dragons (6#, 215 pts)
5 Fire Dragons @ 215 pts
1 Wave Serpent (Spirit Stones; Shuriken Cannon; TL Scatter Lasers)

Troops: Guardian Jetbike Squadron (10#, 278 pts)
9 Guardian Jetbike Squadron @ 278 pts (Shuriken Cannon x3)
1 Warlock ( Embolden )

Troops: Guardian Jetbike Squadron (6#, 152 pts)
6 Guardian Jetbike Squadron @ 152 pts (Shuriken Cannon x2)

Troops: Guardian Jetbike Squadron (6#, 152 pts)
6 Guardian Jetbike Squadron @ 152 pts (Shuriken Cannon x2)

Troops: Guardian Jetbike Squadron (3#, 76 pts)
3 Guardian Jetbike Squadron @ 76 pts (Shuriken Cannon x1)

Troops: Guardian Jetbike Squadron (3#, 76 pts)
3 Guardian Jetbike Squadron @ 76 pts (Shuriken Cannon x1)

Heavy Support: Fire Prism (1#, 160 pts)
1 Fire Prism @ 160 pts (Holo-Field; Spirit Stones)

Total Roster Cost: 1994

thehod
Neophyte

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:06 pm

zephel wrote:
Your right that with the way the experimental rules are written, they have to played with presicion but also, doesn't having jump packs allow you to deep strike into combat? And thi is out of random, but how well would a army with 3 slots of warp spiders 3 slots of spectres work? Maybe duel autarch for 2+ to reserve rolls? what should be troop, guardian jetbikes with locks and cannons since the movement of the spectres and spiders are pretty close to be able to move around the field without issues.

Playing specters with precision won't help (I dont' even know what this really means). If you want those 12" range shots (of which are too few to do anything) the assault move wont' get them out of rapid-fire range and at long range you can't hide them with their assault move. Deepstrike doesn't help- If you get second turn it'd be better just to keep them in normal reserves and have them walk onto the table in the farthest corner.

Spectres and Warpspiders are two completely different units. Spectres wont' keep up with Spiders and you want them at long range anyway, while warp spiders are up there in close range -trying- to jump back and forth.
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:13 pm

As for the above list: in my opinion its best to drop -all- upgrades on the wave serpents/fire prisms. Thats 205 points in upgrades.

Another squad of firedragons in a waveserpent, more fleshed out jetbikers, or some embolden/destructor locks.
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by zephel Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:31 pm

Yea in my 2k list i'm not running upgrades either on prisms. And what I meant by precision is like placement and movement and all that but I guess your right until they rewrite the rules their kinda meh. But the models look badass.
zephel
zephel
Dark Apostle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:42 pm

If anything just buy them for the models. I'm waiting until the rulebook comes out, even if the rules are still crap. Love the models, but I'm not supporting the current rules- plus I can wait Razz
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by zephel Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:51 pm

Very Happy, can't wait for apoc!
zephel
zephel
Dark Apostle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by aosol Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:02 pm

Buy the materials for your own spandex armor set. Field yourself and post Apoc results of you stomping on people's miniatures.
aosol
aosol
Traitor Captain

Number of posts : 256
Armies : Legion of Ever-blahhhh
Registration date : 2011-01-27

http://www.dakkadakka.com/core/gallery-search.jsp?dq=aosol

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down