The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mighty Blow Question (Boromir vs. Lurtz)

+3
dork_jedi
BigEddy
scurrdi
7 posters

Go down

Mighty Blow Question (Boromir vs. Lurtz) Empty Mighty Blow Question (Boromir vs. Lurtz)

Post by scurrdi Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:57 am

In the book, both Boromir and Lurtz have the special rule "Mighty Blow"

However, in each of their descriptions of the rule there is a slight different. In Lurtz's case, the rule states any rolls done "by his company." In Boromir's case, the rule states any rolls done "by him."

How would we like to treat this? Here are several options I've seen out there:

Option 1: Treat them as the same, using Lurtz's wording.

This would mean that the "Mighty Blow" counts only in the normal fight size when the company makes it's attacks (this means that "Mighty Blow" is not in effect for duels).

Option 2: Treat them as the same, using Boromir's wording.

The only situation I've found where an Epic hero uses only "his" attacks is in a duel. So what this would mean is that the "Mighty Blow" would only be in effect in duels.
Personally I find this is a bit overpowering, as duel results are auto-hits to begin with. Not only would this mean that they slay the enemy hero in 1 wound (assuming they of course win the duel) but every hit on the formation (which is automatic) is a casualty or roll on the Hard to Kill table.

Option 3: Treat them as RAW (Rules As Written), thus making them different.

This would mean that Lurtz's "mighty blow" would be only in the fight phase (see Option 1) and Boromir's "mighty blow" would be in the Duel (see Option 2).
Again for me this makes Boromir way to powerful. Might you, he does have Epic Strike AND Epic Duel (roll 2 dice in duels and take highest) and for the reasons stated in Option 2 would simply make him over the top.

I propose Option 1, as I feel the special rule is named the same and it just makes sense for it to be the company. Otherwise I feel it would be way to powerful.

What is everyone's else take on it?

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Mighty Blow Question (Boromir vs. Lurtz) Empty Re: Mighty Blow Question (Boromir vs. Lurtz)

Post by BigEddy Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:34 am

Does the power's description mention anything about the phase it must be declared in?
BigEddy
BigEddy
Cultist

Male
Number of posts : 59
Armies : LoTR (WoTR)
Registration date : 2009-05-31

Back to top Go down

Mighty Blow Question (Boromir vs. Lurtz) Empty Re: Mighty Blow Question (Boromir vs. Lurtz)

Post by dork_jedi Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:21 am

Second best ability name ever, after Skarre's "Great Rack".
If only Boromir was a chick.
dork_jedi
dork_jedi
Demon Prince

Male
Number of posts : 1002
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:47 am

I think it works just as worded.

Lurtz gives it to his company, so it would benefit him if he's attacking a formation with no Heroes in it since it works during the regular fight phase.

Boromir has it just for him, it would benefit him in a Heroic duel as the hits are done by him vs the enemy hero and the formation. This would make Boromir a tough mofo to avoid at all costs in Duels. It would only work for him if he wins the roll for the Duel though.

I like Lurtz ability better, Boromirs' is too positional, it only depends on him winning the roll for the Duel. Lurtzs' work any time his company is in combat.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:01 pm

Yeah, while Lurtz ability is good for that, Boromir does have Epic Strike and Epic Duel, which means he will mostly likely win the duel (rolling two dice and taking the highest on a 10).

It just doesn't make any sense that they would be different if they are named the same. Every other situation where there is another special with the same name, such as Epic Rampage with Gimili and Amdur, the wording both for the rule and the actual description is the same.

To me I think it's a typo, but thats why I wanna see what everyone says.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:26 pm

Im asuming they made it that way cause in the movies "what most of the game is based on" Boromir acts and fights as a lone Hero, while Lurtz is seen sorrounded by lots of Uruks and giving them orders.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:40 pm

I always prefer "RAW",that way you have to remember on top of everything else, additional house rules, unless there is a typo.
Unfortunately that's what this looks like.

I really wish GW would post a addendum.

No answer right now.

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1451
Armies : AT-43, Pyrates, Battle Tech
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:41 pm

It doesn't make sense. It seems to me if it were meant to be different they would have named it someting else. But who knows what the heck they were thinking? It's like talking to a brick wall when you address issues with GW. And I think if he give the hits to himself, it makes him a bit broken. Because he could wipe out an entire 4 companies of cavalry without his unit ever fighting when you combine it with epic duel, strike and mighty blow. And he has MT 6. A bit broken if interpreted in that fashion.
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:57 pm

You make a good point Eric, but until they (GW morons) say otherwise I'd play them both a written for each hero individually.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:48 pm

Yeah, it just seems a way bit too powerful that way.

It's up to us as a community. I just want to make sure we've got it figured out.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:01 pm

The Borormir version could be intended to indicate he is extra dangerous to the formation or a troll captain in duels.

There are other Epic Heros who are animal in a duel - your Prince Imoren (sp?) for example. Also, duels are not always an option so I don't see it as too over powered if this is the way it works.

IMO the Lurtz version is what they intended, because as you have pointed out - the hero never really "attacks" outside of a duel.

....or they could be 2 different abilites where they overlooked both have the same name.

who knows with these GW jocolor jocolor jocolor

Every board on the net dedicated to this game has a FAQ list, but GW can't get one done. That is what is unbelieveable. You'd swear they want to go out of business.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:26 pm

Come on guys, its prob taking GW a bit longer to make the FAQ because is hard work coming out with rule clarifications such as:
" you shouldnt do that because your opponent may find it offensive"
or the ever popular
"Yes it can be done, but you wouldnt do that in a game and be called cheesy by your friends would you?!?"
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:39 pm

As far as GW wanting to go out of business, there are going out of business, I can show you the chart. Or go to ANY investment web service and research the past performance, watch how it tanks after 1999, spikes in 2002 (see below for the reason, heh,heh) and then tanks really bad in 2005. GW is publically traded, so their finances reports are public.

Here's the greatest goof. Everyone knows that GW has been having money troubles for years and everyone said it was because they were pumping so much money into LotR therefore losing thier ass. It turns out that LotR was a hughe cash cow up to 2005. I can show you articles on that too or you can google it under "games workshop LotR bubble burst".

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1451
Armies : AT-43, Pyrates, Battle Tech
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:10 pm

Imrail is only as good a dueler as anyone else who happens to have Epic Strike in their profiles. The ones who are particularly good at dueling are the ones who have Epic Strike AND Epic Duel (or something similar that allows them to roll 2 dice and take the highest).

So what are we gonna say here? Just read the rules as they stand and go with the RAW interpretation?

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down