The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

40K Tournament on August 29th

+7
Death_Company_Orks
grix
ptlax23
Vycem
feen039
The Eldar Guy
WC_Brian
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

40K Tournament on August 29th - Page 2 Empty Re: 40K Tournament on August 29th

Post by luis the young Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:05 am

KingdomCome wrote:
WC_Brian wrote:
KingdomCome wrote: The standard time allotted for a game at a tourney is 2hours and 45 minutes. We're usually done in about an hour and a half.

Really? on both of those statements. Usually bigger events go 2.5 hours and LGS seem to go no more than 2 hours. Regardless of what time limit it seems like 1 to 2 games go to time. I think if you gave people 3.5 hours there would still be one table struggling to finish turn 4 or 5.

I can't think of a player slow enough to need more than 2 hours at an 1850 point level. Maybe I play fast?

Try moving 80+ Orks arround, shoot with them, charge them, then roll arround 150 dice on attacks and then resolve the mess afterwards.
It depends on the army, 1850 of marines are gonna move a hell of a lot faster than 1850 of Orks or Nids, or IG.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by WC_Brian Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:26 pm

The trick is to planning during your opponents turn so you don't have to pause to plan out your turn during your own turn. When moving hordes measure the move of the front rank and pick up the next ranks in bunches and just shove them forward. It's alot faster than moving each individual model and it shouldn't hurt the paint jobs, not alot of metal hordes. When you have a ton of attacks to roll it helps if you have cubes of dice sitting around. Like if you have 60 attacks grab one cube, take out 6 dice and roll them twice. Reload your cubes during your opponents turn.

WC_Brian
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Death_Company_Orks Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:22 pm

yeah well it all sounds good in theory, plan ahead you say, take cubes, reload them when your opponent is playing. the only problems i see with that is that if i plan ahead i might miss an opportunity that just came up at the end of that turn, also by taking cubes you have alot more chances of loosing your dice and then spending extra time looking for them, oh and if you reload the cubes in your opponents turn how are you paying attention to the game and let alone plan ahead like you said earlier. lol... not to be a dick but i agree with luis, a well elite army shouldn't take that long to move but a horde army needs alot more tactical and methotical moves in oder to succedd. remember the more you have the more victory points your opponent has a chance of getting.
Death_Company_Orks
Death_Company_Orks
Aspiring Champion

Male
Number of posts : 219
Armies : Blood Angels, and Death Company Orks. (Fantasy) Dwarfs
Registration date : 2009-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by WC_Brian Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:26 pm

It actually works, you are just ignorant(don't take offense, it doesn't mean you are stupid, you just don't have much experience).

You can't do something and pay attention at the same time? While they are thinking of what to shoot you reload the cubes, not during their movement phase. Did I say make a plan during their turn and stick to it regardless of what happens? No, actually I didn't. You should always make sure you have everything planned out at the start of your turn before you move any models.

Don't make excuses for Horde armies getting less than the full amount of turns in time and time again. Their is no excuse for it. I know several high level players that won many GT level events in 2008 and never once did any of their games go to time(they had over 150 Orks in many games).

WC_Brian
Dark Apostle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ptlax23 Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:22 pm

i see both sides to this,but not everyone has the computer brain brian appears to possess with his "experience", but lets not forget something, juan isn't slow with his games just careful in what moves he wants to make, if this was a GT then talk but it's not so who gives a shit
ptlax23
ptlax23
Traitor Marine

Male
Number of posts : 126
Armies : Black Templars,Grey Knights, Skaven,Bretonnians
Registration date : 2009-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:06 pm

I agree PTlax. I for one like to think carefully about my actions. This isn't speed chess and it isn't a GT, it's a local tournament.

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by NurgleNick Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:22 pm

I personally think that, whenever money (or the equivalent of; i.e., store credit) is on the line, a time limit per turn should be enforced to ensure a game goes to the full five or six turns. Being able to make decisions quicker and think several moves ahead of your foe is a skill you will only develop if you're placed in a situation where you have to. I've played a horde army before, numbering well over 100 models.. and 100 models is hard for me to consider a "slow" army to move and play with. Even with 200, the basic decisions are the same.. You choose whether one unit (of 10 Marines, or 30 Orks) is going to move, assault, shoot, or whatever, and you move on. There's no complex calculation required, and no painstaking need to move each individual model exactly where you want it to be, unless you're up against a blast-template heavy army. Even then, this doesn't take long.

No slowplaying, and no excuses for slowplaying. It's not speed chess, but it shouldn't be like watching paint dry, either. I vote for 20-30 minute time limits on each turn, myself. That seems quite reasonable.
NurgleNick
NurgleNick
Dark Apostle

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2008-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by NurgleNick Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:25 pm

Also, is there a sign-up for a standard 40k Tournament this month, or... ? If so, I'm interested.
NurgleNick
NurgleNick
Dark Apostle

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:29 am

It's already full. Throw your name in the reserves hat and hope for a 4+ on turn 2.....
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1233
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods
Registration date : 2009-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by NurgleNick Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:08 pm

Half the people signed up won't show, anyway.
NurgleNick
NurgleNick
Dark Apostle

Back to top Go down

Post by hyenadave Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:48 pm

Is the tourney still on? What time and points?

hyenadave
Neophyte

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:03 pm

It's on like Grey Poupon! 1850

Vycem
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by WC_Brian Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:11 am

Wow some of you guys are just hopeless. There is this thing in gaming where people are just too dense. Like someone will ask a more experienced player for advice about their deck/list. When the player gives the advice they reject it. They were really just looking for reinforcement of their beliefs. So to all of those that think I am making this up, I hope you enjoy your 4 turn games. If you play me, I guarantee the game will not go to time.

WC_Brian
Dark Apostle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:31 pm

WC_Brian wrote:Wow some of you guys are just hopeless. There is this thing in gaming where people are just too dense. Like someone will ask a more experienced player for advice about their deck/list. When the player gives the advice they reject it. They were really just looking for reinforcement of their beliefs. So to all of those that think I am making this up, I hope you enjoy your 4 turn games. If you play me, I guarantee the game will not go to time.

Am I the only one confused about the thread? I thought it was an informational thread about the tournament on the 29th. I have no idea what the above message is referring to, but at this point I feel we should start moving things to their own thread because judging by its tone, I sense a flame war in the making.

Vycem
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:52 pm

Tournament Questions:

-How will the scoring be? Will there be a painting score?
-How many copies of the army list should we bring?
-Are we sending the organizer army lists in advance?
-Is there a fee? If so, how much is it?
-What's the price support like, if any?
-Do we need to bring anything other than our army? (e.g. special objective counters and the like)

Vycem
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2