The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would you rather play Planetstrike or normal 5th edition for the August 29th tournament?

+3
scurrdi
Vycem
WC_Brian
7 posters

Go down

Would you rather play Planetstrike or normal 5th edition for the August 29th tournament?

Would you rather play Planetstrike or normal 5th edition for the August 29th tournament? Vote_lcap22%Would you rather play Planetstrike or normal 5th edition for the August 29th tournament? Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 2 ]
Would you rather play Planetstrike or normal 5th edition for the August 29th tournament? Vote_lcap78%Would you rather play Planetstrike or normal 5th edition for the August 29th tournament? Vote_rcap 78% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 9

Would you rather play Planetstrike or normal 5th edition for the August 29th tournament? Empty Would you rather play Planetstrike or normal 5th edition for the August 29th tournament?

Post by WC_Brian Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:31 am

The Planetstrike book is sold out. I am a little concerned that people won't know the rules or strategems well enough to do a Planetstrike tournament at the end of August. Perhaps we should wait a couple of months for this. What say you guys?

WC_Brian
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-10-19

Back to top Go down

Would you rather play Planetstrike or normal 5th edition for the August 29th tournament? Empty Re: Would you rather play Planetstrike or normal 5th edition for the August 29th tournament?

Post by Vycem Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:42 pm

Having been through both Apocalypse games, if there's anything I learned, is that it's very important for everyone involved to know the rules, particularly if it's a tournament. The fact that the books are sold out worries me. I don't want people to feel cheated because they didn't have the time to tailor their armies to the expansion.

Given all that, I'm all for a regular game tournament.

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Would you rather play Planetstrike or normal 5th edition for the August 29th tournament? Empty Re: Would you rather play Planetstrike or normal 5th edition for the August 29th tournament?

Post by scurrdi Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:29 pm

I voted for a regular event, as I personally would have a lot more interest in that then a Planetstrike/Apoc style game/tournament.

That's just me though.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by WC_Brian Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:48 pm

Well it's 6 to 0 so far so I'll call it here. 5th Edition it is. We'll do something other than the normal rule book missions though. I have the Necro missions and if I can get the Big Waagh missions I will use the best 3 for the tournament.

WC_Brian
Dark Apostle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:50 pm

What's the point in asking if we'd rather do 5th ed or a planetstrike survey if you're gonna do whatever you like?
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1233
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods
Registration date : 2009-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:45 pm

You people have to quit being so damn narrow minded about these tournaments. Every time someone wants to go outside of the box people feel the need to go against it. City's of Death,Planetstrike and Apoc are all excellent expansions and all add flavor to the game. It seems all people want to do is set up from across eachother and roll dice. No objectives .No cool terrain rules(Cities of Death),no custom scenarios(like Stephan did), no massive bloody battles with special rules. Come on guys fuckin A.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:58 pm

Hey, I'm all for the expansions, they rock. I just voted against it given that the book is out of print and people are not ready.

Why don't we organize non-tournament games of expansions, kind of like themed league nights? I get what you're saying, and the expansions do add a lot to mix it up.

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Death_Company_Orks Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:05 pm

alright, lets go planet strike. lol i played a game of planet strike with anthony, the rules are no that bad, they need a q&a but you can simply solve that with a roll of the dice. i don't really care which one we play in the tournament but i would have love to give planetstrike a chance since i play with the most invaiding army of them all. Twisted Evil
Death_Company_Orks
Death_Company_Orks
Aspiring Champion

Male
Number of posts : 219
Armies : Blood Angels, and Death Company Orks. (Fantasy) Dwarfs
Registration date : 2009-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:47 am

by rokassan on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:45 pm
You people have to quit being so damn narrow minded about these tournaments. Every time someone wants to go outside of the box people feel the need to go against it. City's of Death,Planetstrike and Apoc are all excellent expansions and all add flavor to the game. It seems all people want to do is set up from across eachother and roll dice. No objectives .No cool terrain rules(Cities of Death),no custom scenarios(like Stephan did), no massive bloody battles with special rules. Come on guys fuckin A.

It's not about being narrow minded. It's recognizing that All of the above mentioned GW expansions are crap for tournaments. City's of Death tourney? Nice idea and it's probably the closest one of the expansions that you might be able to pull a tourney out of, but alas it would still suck. Apoc tourney? Sure! Got three days to complete the event? How about a large enough area? Let's not forget, you bring a titan? You win! You don't bring a titan? Have fun being tabled by turn 3. Planet Strike? Neat concept, poor execution (the GW S.O.P) How would you even run this tourney? Everyone bring 2 list's and ( if you got it) suitable terrain. Remember if you are defending you get to set up the board however you like. How would that even be controlled? I like Endre's idea. The expansions were made for casual play and were in no means designed for tournament use. I'll gladly play Planet Strike and Cities of Death with anyone willing, just not in a tournament setting. I personally can't stand ApocaFail.
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1233
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods
Registration date : 2009-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by WC_Brian Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:29 am

KingdomCome wrote:What's the point in asking if we'd rather do 5th ed or a planetstrike survey if you're gonna do whatever you like?

It's 6 to 1 now, you think 6 more people are going to vote for Planetstrike?

KingdomCome wrote: City's of Death tourney? Nice idea and it's probably the closest one of the expansions that you might be able to pull a tourney out of, but alas it would still suck. Planet Strike? Neat concept, poor execution (the GW S.O.P) How would you even run this tourney?

Planetstrike is easy to run a tournament for. Each player brings two lists. You roll off to see who is attacker and who is defender. Defender takes terrain on table and deploys it as they see fit. Don't worry about having guns for the defender to shoot, I don't think a couple of heavy bolters will swing the game. Then again you could just say each piece of terrain has a heavy bolter on a turret.

I think it is an interesting way to play 40k and that is why I suggested in the first place. However now is not a good time since even I, the TO, has a copy of the book since it is sold out. We'll see what we can do at a later date.

Tate's has run 3 successful City of Death tournaments but that is because they have 50+ of the Ruined Buildings GW sold for the expansion.

WC_Brian
Dark Apostle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:10 am

Vycem wrote:Hey, I'm all for the expansions, they rock. I just voted against it given that the book is out of print and people are not ready.

Why don't we organize non-tournament games of expansions, kind of like themed league nights? I get what you're saying, and the expansions do add a lot to mix it up.

What book is out of print?
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:13 am

I ran an Apoc tourny(believe it or not),I was told by the players it was enjoyable. It does require more planning, and parameters need to be set, but it can be fun.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ptlax23 Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:32 am

I have the planet strike book and joel has them too so i don't know how hard people are looking, i am fine with whichever but bill is right most of those are fun for tourneys cause it mixes it up, the votes heavy in favor of 5th ed. so thats fine by me
ptlax23
ptlax23
Traitor Marine

Male
Number of posts : 126
Armies : Black Templars,Grey Knights, Skaven,Bretonnians
Registration date : 2009-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down