The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Want to start playing FOW

+5
TheLimey
scurrdi
Hurricane
Kyle
Garry
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Want to start playing FOW Empty Want to start playing FOW

Post by Garry Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:12 pm

I am really intrested in playing but do not know were you all meet and how often. I play warhammer and also 40K but really would like to try FOW. Also looking at your posting is the only place that sells FOW Sunshine in south florida? I have put aside about $350 to start an army but do not want to make the purchase if there is no one to play and learn the game from.

Please any feed back would be great.

thank you for your time,
Garry [b]
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male
Number of posts : 233
Armies : Chaos, dark elf, Skaven, Ogre, Orc (fan & 40K) Brit, eldar, marines, high elf
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Want to start playing FOW Empty Re: Want to start playing FOW

Post by Kyle Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:03 pm

Pretty much only place that plays is in Sunshine. A buddy and I also live in Pembroke Pines and have been building armies but haven't really gotten to play sadly, but would like to. Once my friend finishes up his Americans we were gonna start doing home games here. Without any stores that close for those of us in Pembroke, we have been mainly doing home games of many different systems. Perhaps we can set something up sometime somewhere if you were interested.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:23 pm

I am heading down there tonight to get the rule book with 2nd adition also.

I live out by the BBC in Pines is that any where near where you all have been playing.
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male
Armies : Chaos, dark elf, Skaven, Ogre, Orc (fan & 40K) Brit, eldar, marines, high elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:51 pm

Well we used to play games by War and Pieces which was like across the street from BCC, but that just closed down. We live close to the pines mall. I got a German army made and painted, but haven't played. Friend is still building his figs before we start, I kinda jumped the gun on him and dived into the figs cause I wanted to play around with airbrush, but haven't gotten to actually play the game yet.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:55 pm

We play quiet a bit at my house on Monday nites. We are actually running the Firestorm Bagration Campaign. I know its kinda far. I live out by the Hammocks/Tamiami Airport, but you are more than welcome to come join us. Not sure if we are playing this monday, depends on my cold. I will post something tomorrow nite to let everyone know.
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:52 am

We generally try to play at Sunshine on Sundays. I know its a bit far but if you swing by today sometime I will be there for a few hours and can show you the ropes a bit.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:39 pm

I have been looking through the rule book and do I need to buy an army book like arhammer for the nation I am playing?
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:02 pm

Yea you need to find an army list. FOW has tons and tons of lists as it tries to be historical. The sourcebooks generally focus on a specific period and area of the war with the divisions that were involved. The individal countries don't have unique army books with bunch of lists. There is also lists for play on the website for the game, but they generally require you to own a specific book to get the rules to use that list.

For late war for example which is a popular era of play, a good investment is the Fortress Europe book as its one of the larger books with good variety of lists.

If you know what specifically your looking to make, pick up the book from that theater or setting. Lot of stuff isn't covered yet in FoW, for example Operation Market Garden units have not been really done yet but are scheduled to get books for that later this year.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLimey Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:07 pm

First of all, think about what period you want to play. Late War (1944-1945), Mid War (1942 - 1943) and Early War (everything else....).

For late War, as Kyle said, the best resource is Fortress Europe. Gives nice generic lists based on historical strengths for all the major forces.

For Mid War, they've just redone Africa, which covers the whole of the Mediterranean from before Alamein through Tunisia to the early Italian campaign. Ostfront does a similar job for the Eastern Front.

Early War is being relaunched sometime next year, and I don't think there is anything 'official' out yet.

BF also do smaller campaign/battle books, so there is a book for airlanding forces in Normandy, a Cobra breakout book, a book for the Villers Bocage forces, and similar again for the Eastern Front. Market Garden is next.

Alternatively, BF does a good job of producing PDF's for specific forces, and there is a bunch for both mid and late war on their website. My forces are both based off pdf's at the moment.
TheLimey
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 266
Armies : Games played: Starship Troopers, Epic...
Registration date : 2009-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:02 pm

So you can not really build your own list you need to work of lists that have been produced. It does not have the same kinda thing as 40K were things are listed as HQ, Fast Elite so forth and so on and build army from that. It almost seems anything goes with exception of what you HQ is is also you core troops.

I like the rules for what I have read the only thing that I can say I do not care for is the you cando pre-measures I kinda like you say you are shooting at that and then measure if you are out of range u miss. Also the pre-measuring of charging. Saves seem very simple shooting straight forward I like that you can shoot from teams and can make it so the platoon can split fire.
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:16 pm

It's like 40k though more restricted. HQ's usually are a single choice or you got like one other option. Core troops often are the exact same thing that you can take multiple times, though some lists do give you more options than others.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLimey Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:27 pm

The main variations occur in the divisional support troops, though I think you also tend to get greater variation in German forces.
TheLimey
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 266
Armies : Games played: Starship Troopers, Epic...
Registration date : 2009-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:13 pm

Here are 2 files that I got from an online store about 600Point lists and also running an escallation
600 Point Escalation League

The focus behind running an escalation league is to have your customers slowly build their armies so they have time to assemble and paint their forces. An escalation league also allows the players to play test their armies so they can make wiser purchases and understand what their armies need most. Feel free to adjust the points or timelines but we have provided a sample schedule for you to better understand the setup. Keep in mind that any player at any time during the escalation league can alter their army list provided they stay within the rules you have established. This allows the players flexibility in developing their army lists and it will also promote sales in the store. We have also provided rules adjustments for all the scenarios located in the hardback rulebook. These rules adjustments can be used for all games ranging around 600-800 points but once the league is over 800 points we recommend using the standard rules. If you own a Battle Board this would be a great time to use it and if you don’t be sure to ask your Battlefront representative.

Most of the current missions will work with 600-800 point forces on a half size table (4’ long x 3’ wide) with the players always playing down the length of the table rather than across its width. The only real requirement for change is stating that players have a minimum deployment zone of 8” in those missions where the stated deployment zone would put them off the table (e.g. Hold the Line). We would suggest keeping both objectives because this will better prepare players when they continue to build their armies. Below you will find each scenario contained within the rulebook and some suggestions on altering them to keep the scenario fun and balanced. Please note that the width of the table represents the attacker’s and defender’s table edge and the length of the table is the distance between opponents.

Free-for-all: As written, except that the table is 3’ wide and 4’ long.
Encounter: As written, except that the table is 3’ wide and 4’ long.
Hold the Line: As written, except that the table is 3’ wide and 4’ long and the attacker deploys his army 16” from the table centre line.
Fighting Withdrawal: As written, except that the table is 3’ wide and 4’ long. (Note the table width and length is switched)
Breakthrough: As written, except that table is 4’ wide and 3’ long. (Note the table width and length is switched)
Cauldron: As written, except that table is 4’ wide and 3’ long. (Note the table width and length is switched) The objectives must be within 8” of the table centre and each other, and the defender must deploy within 12” of the table centre.
Roadblock: As written, except that table is 4’ wide and 3’. (Note the table width and length is switched) The objectives must be between 8” and 16” from the ends of the road, and the defender deploys 10” from the table centre line.

In all of these missions it is important to have a good mix of terrain on the board including extensive linear features like hedges, walls and streams to give the battlefield texture and prevent the game from being all about tanks.

Mid-war
Based on the needs of the store and its customers you can establish your own timeline but here is a sample schedule. You could also culminate the escalation league with a National Tournament qualifier or just a friendly tournament.
Weeks 1-2 (600 Points)
Weeks 3-4 (800 Points)
Weeks 5-6 (1000 Points)
Weeks 7-8 (1200 Points)
Weeks 9-10 (1500 Points)

Here are some suggested rules to keep games balanced. These rules also allow players to play with platoons they might not otherwise due to army restrictions and/or effectiveness in larger games.
600-999 points
§ No vehicle, plane, infantry or gun team with a AT rating of higher than 10
§ No vehicle with a front armor of higher than 6
§ 1 Combat platoon instead of the normal minimum amount
§ Weapons and Support platoons are taken per the normal army list rules

1000-1499 points
§ No vehicle, plane, infantry or gun team with a AT rating of higher than 12
§ No vehicle with a front armor of higher than 8
§ Standard army list rules

1500+ points

Late war
Based on the needs of the store and its customers you can establish your own timeline but here is a sample schedule. You could also culminate the escalation league with a National Tournament qualifier or just a friendly tournament.
Weeks 1-2 (600 Points)
Weeks 3-4 (800 Points)
Weeks 5-6 (1000 Points)
Weeks 7-8 (1200 Points)
Weeks 9-10 (1500 Points)

Here are some suggested rules to keep games balanced. These rules also allow players to play with platoons they might not otherwise due to army restrictions and/or effectiveness in larger games.
600-999 points
§ No vehicle, plane, infantry or gun team with a AT rating of higher than 11
§ No vehicle with a front armor of higher than 7

1000-1499 points
§ No vehicle, plane, infantry or gun team with a AT rating of higher than 13
§ No vehicle with a front armor of higher than 9

1500+ points

Scoring System

Use the Victory Points Table located on page 195 of the main rulebook. The players’ also receive an additional 1 point for each game they play if their army they are playing with is fully painted. Creating a scoreboard or standings board is a nice way of keeping the players informed and involved.
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:14 pm

Here is some sample lists they sent with costs.

Sample 600 point Forces from Fortress Europe

The sample forces listed below were written with the Flames of War 600 Point Escalation League in mind. Those rules are as follows.
§ No vehicle, plane, infantry or gun team with a AT rating of higher than 11
§ No vehicle with a front armor of higher than 7

German Forces by Robert Villnave, Battlefront North America

Panzer Kompanie page21 (Ye’Ol Bread & Butter army)
HQ: 2x Pz IVH, or StuG G or StuG IV 190
Combat Pltn: 3x as the same tank type chosen above 285
Support Pltn: 2x Sd Kfz 234/2 (Puma) 100
Total 575
Codes: GBX10, 2x GE361 $72.00
-or-
Codes: GBX25, 2x GE361 $72.00
-or-
Codes: GE126 x5, 2x GE361 $77.00

Panzergrenadierkompanie page 30 (personal fav #2)
HQ: with Panzerknacker SMG & Anti-tank 80
Combat Pltn: PzGrenadiers (3 sqd) w/Panzerknacker SMG 210
Combat Pltn: PzGrenadiers (3 sqd) w/Panzerknacker SMG 210
Support Pltn: 2x Sd Kfz 234/2 (Puma) 100
Total 600
Codes: GBX17, 2x GBX09, 2x GE361 $167.00
-OR-
Panzergrenadierkompanie page 30 (personal fav #1)
HQ: with Panzerknacker SMG & Anti-tank 80
Combat Pltn: PzGrenadiers (2 sqd) 145
Support Pltn: AA Gun Pltn 3x Sd Kfz 10/5 (2cm) armored 120
Support Pltn: Anti-tank Gun Pltn w/3x 5cm PaK38 115
Support Pltn: Limited Air Support; Ju87G Stuka 135
Total 595
Codes: GBX17, GBX09, 3x GE161, AC002, 2x GE510, GE721 $215.00

Gepanzerte Panzergrenadierkompanie page 24
HQ: with Panzerknacker SMG & Anti-tank 120
Combat Pltn: Gepanzerte PzGrenadiers (3 sqd) w/Pzknacker SMG 280
Support Pltn: Gepanzerte Cannon Platoon 180
Total 580
Codes: GBX17, GBX09, GE253 x4 $134.00

Grenadierkompanie page 36
HQ: with Pzknacker SMG & Anti-tank 70
Combat Pltn: Grenadier Platoon w/Pzknacker 160
Combat Pltn: Grenadier Platoon w/Pzknacker 160
Support Pltn: Jagdpanzer IV tank hunters (pg 50) 190
Total 580
Codes: GE721, 2x GE722, 2x GE108 $73.00

Fallschirmjagerkompanie
-waiting for the release of a more complete selection of models

British forces by Ben Bostedor, Battlefront North America

Armoured Squadron page 67
HQ: w/Sherman V 145
Combat Pltn: w/3x Sherman V, w/3x .50 cal AA 215
Support Pltn: w/4x Stuart V 155
Support Pltn: w/3x Universal Carriers w/extra Hull MG 85
Total 600
Codes: BBX08, 4x BR009, BR210 $117

Armoured Recce Squadron page 69
HQ: Cromwell IV w/2x Crusader AA 235
Combat Pltn: w/3x Cromwell IV 230
Total 585
Codes: BBX12, 2x BR036 $72.00

Motor Company page 70
HQ: 45
Combat Pltn: w/3 Motor Squads 120
Combat Pltn: w/3 Motor Squads 120
Combat Pltn: w/2 Scout Patrols, w/3x .50 cals, Wasps 190
Support Pltn: w/Motor Anti-tank platoon 120
Total 595
Codes: BBX14, 2x BR200, 8x BR201, BR210, BR214, 2x BR217
BR721, 2x BR723 $229.00

Rifle Company page 74
HQ: 25
Combat Pltn: w/3x Rifle squads 135
Combat Pltn: w/2x Rifle squads 105
Support Pltn: w/4x 25 pdrs w/transports 165
Support Pltn: w/Typhoons (limited air support) 170
Total 600
Codes: BBX11, BBX09, AC005 $170.00

Armoured Car Squadron page 82
HQ: w/3x Staghound I 110
Combat Pltn: w/2x Damlier I & 1x Dingo 90
Support Pltn: w/3x Sherman V 200
Total 580
Codes: 3x BR350, 6x BR311, BR310, 3x BR120 $144.00

American forces by Robert Villnave, Battlefront North America

Tank Company page 98
HQ: M4, M4A1 or M4A3 Sherman w/M4 (105mm) Sherman 210
Combat Pltn: M4, M4A1 or M4A3 Sherman (x3) 205
Support Pltn: M7 Priests w/1x section w/Command Jeep 185
Total 600
Codes: UBX02, 3x US143, US040, US200, US709, US411 $128.00

Armored Rifle Company page 102
HQ: w/Bazooka 40
Combat Pltn: 2 Rifle Squads w/Bazooka replacing AT gun 240
Support Pltn: M4, M4A1 or M4A3 Sherman (x3) 205
Total 585
Codes: 3x US042, US731, UBX01 $121.00

Rifle Company page 106
HQ: as listed 15
Combat Pltn: 2 Rifle Squads 110
Combat Pltn: 2 Rifle Squads 110
Support Pltn: w/2 sections M2A1 105mm howitzer 145
Support Pltn: w/2 sections M1 155mm howitzers 215
Total 595
Codes: UBX03, UBX07, UBX11 $180.00

Cavalry Recon Troop page 112
HQ: as listed 70
Combat Pltn: with 3 Recon Patrols (see special rules page 113) 210
Support Pltn: with M4, M4A1 or M4A3 Sherman (x3) 205
Support Pltn: with 2 Rifle Squads 110
Total 595
Codes: 3x US042, 2x US411, 5x US301, US702 $132.00

Soviet forces by Robert Villnave, Battlefront North America

Tankovy Batalon page 128
HQ: T-34 obr 1942 w/cupola 60
Combat Pltn: 5x T-34 obr 1942 w/cupola 275
Support Pltn: 8x Mark VIII (Valentine VIII) 265
Total 600
Codes: SU053, SBX01 (SU053 x5), 8x BR062 $149.00

Motostrelkovy Batalon page 134
HQ: 30
Combat Pltn: w/3 Platoons w SMG upgrade 320
Support Pltn: w/SU-122 x4 165
Support Pltn: w/1 Mortar Section w/observer(pg.133) 75
Total 590
Codes: SBX02, 4x SU122, SU705, SU709 $145.00

Strelkovy Batalon page 140
HQ: w/anti-tank rifles & Sapper Platoon & supply wagon 170
Combat Pltn: w/3 Rifle Platoons w/Komissar & SMG 335
Support Pltn: w/2 Regimental Gun Platoons & Observer 95
Total 600
Codes: SBX02, 2x SU560, SU706, SU709, XX652 $127.00
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:04 am

Well thats a nice retailer. An escalation league is not a bad idea but also requires often a good group of players to play on a regular basis and sometimes falls apart with the newer players who don't keep up with the escalating scale of the game and dont buy or make new figs.

If your going to be playing your gonna want to aim for 2000 points since thats the normal high point game, with many also playing 1500 points.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:51 am

Or 1750, which is what they use for the National Tournament.
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:32 pm

I went down there today and pick up about $400 worth. The owner told me they gave a 20% off then turned around and gave only 10% and told my wife and me he never said that. I did blow up on him which I regret but will never ever set another foot into that store. It will be his lose I spend about $300 to $500 on my hobby a month and figured he carring it he can have the money instead of online or Tates.
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:53 pm

I believe Joel is losing is mind, really, I am not kidding.
He claim just last night that I said he should give me 40% off, when I said 20% (different issue).

Garry I am truly sorry you first experience soured you on Sunshine. He does have the largest selection of FOW, probable in the state of Florida and when his brain is working he gives a fair deal.

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1451
Armies : AT-43, Pyrates, Battle Tech
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:18 pm

You've already taken the standard initiation, you may as well go there to play.
Next round of shopping....... well that's your call.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:39 pm

Garry wrote:I went down there today and pick up about $400 worth. The owner told me they gave a 20% off then turned around and gave only 10% and told my wife and me he never said that. I did blow up on him which I regret but will never ever set another foot into that store. It will be his lose I spend about $300 to $500 on my hobby a month and figured he carring it he can have the money instead of online or Tates.

Sucks to hear, lot of folks I play with just refuse to go to Sunshine outright because of various issues with the owner or just not liking the store itself, always here stories like this from people. I never had trouble with them but I only go once in a blue moon to try to buy something I can't get elsewhere.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:50 pm

I just am upset that I let it get to me and I blew up on him. Instead of just walking away and telling myself never again.

But now going to start cleaning mini's and then priming and painting never painter 15mm before pretty dam small.
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:33 pm

I was looking at those models on Tuesday. I didn't realize how tiny they were. I don't think I can work that small.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:44 pm

does he normally give 20% for FOW like the other stuff? I've been looking at it for a while
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1571
Armies : Eldar(40k & BFG), Dark Eldar (WIP), & Dark Elves
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:26 pm

Man that makes my blood boil !!

I would have told him to eat a dick and then I would have gone to SuperheroGameland to get my stuff.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:19 am

Painting 15 mm is not as hard as everyone believes. There are some really simple techniques

Prime and dip being one of the best and fastest. They even have kits now if you want to go that route, but it is cheaper if you do it yourself (get the spray paint and furniture stain).

Or prime and dry brush, even faster, even cheaper.

It depends on time, and what type of look. Try both methods on some models and see if you get the desired results.

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1451
Armies : AT-43, Pyrates, Battle Tech
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content