The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

basing mini's

5 posters

Go down

basing mini's Empty basing mini's

Post by Garry Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:12 pm

I tried to glue them then built the base up to them with plaster/concrete to the point so that every thing was level did not come out good at all.

What are you guys doing to make the base look good. With the mini's being so small the base is key for the army to look good. Mine right now look like crap.

I will post some picks when my kid brings by his camara that can take pic's that small.

It took eme about 3 hours to paint the platon command w/ 6 teams of 5 is this about right for paint time this is with out dipping. painting then a wet coat (kinda like inking) then high lighting and picking out some detail.

I have read the other posting from earlier any other idea's. I really enjoy that there is a group out there talking and sharing info and look forward to gaming with you all when this ard boyz is over and my focus is put towards other things.

thank you,
Garry
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male
Number of posts : 233
Armies : Chaos, dark elf, Skaven, Ogre, Orc (fan & 40K) Brit, eldar, marines, high elf
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

basing mini's Empty Re: basing mini's

Post by Ovich Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:17 pm

Try the dipping. It'll make your plaster built bases look good after you've base coated them with graveyard earth or some other very neutral shaded brown. Then you can add some flock for flavor, what ever kind of flock you want to base your theme around. Gale force 9 now creates a massive amount of different flocks for just about any type of terrain. They have green static grass, dead looking grass, snow, sand, rubble, whatever you name. it. Joel carries a whole bunch of different kinds and their only about 4 bucks each for a tub that'll last you years.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:27 am

But do you glue the mini on the base then plaster or do you plaster then glue mini. The mini's bases seem to stand up to much if you do not build the palster up to the mini.
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male
Armies : Chaos, dark elf, Skaven, Ogre, Orc (fan & 40K) Brit, eldar, marines, high elf

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLimey Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:44 am

I'm gluing, then plastering, to build up to the right height to hide the bases. One little trick I've just seen is to use some thick card as a base cut close to the outline of a artillery/AT gun to also lift that off the base and allow you to build up to that as well.
TheLimey
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 266
Armies : Games played: Starship Troopers, Epic...
Registration date : 2009-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:00 am

Ok I will give that a try witht he next team. I have been using the metal poker I call it that I use for modeling blue stuff for warhammer models to put the plaster in place.

Has anyone tried dental plaster putting it on the base then pushing the models into the plaster.
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:47 am

I use joint compound. I apply it with a old medium sized paint brush. It is pretty easy, just be careful not to get the compound all over the miniature as it goes easy into the the recesses of the model.

basing mini's Spring2009019
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:11 am

That is perfect thank you this will work. I just picked up some new primer called the army painter it comes in a crap load of colors. I got a darker grey for the germaine and a tan for the brits. It is a new sytem they have out there that Tates picked up from a convention they went to last week or the week before. It should work good woth the dipping method.
Garry
Garry
Aspiring Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLimey Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:17 am

That's the same stuff I used on my vehicles, but I used the army green. I'm happy with how they came out, and once I've got the final drybrushing done (hopefully this week), I'll post some pictures.

Nice to know they do a dark grey, as I've just picked up the start of a Sperrverband force, and I was wondering how I was going to start painting them.
TheLimey
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 266
Armies : Games played: Starship Troopers, Epic...
Registration date : 2009-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:21 pm

Here's what I've done so far with my British:

Plaster the base with plaster for a slightly raised look. Smooth the edges but don't worry about the middle (it is ground after all).

Choose what models will go on that base, then push the model into the plaster (before it's dried). This will create a recess to make the model look smooth with the ground.

Let dry for several hours (overnight preferred).

Pull models off of plaster, since they aren't glued should come right off.

Paint the base a neutral color, such as brown. Then glue the models on (painted or unpainted). Dip and seal!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down