The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Basing Help for FOW

4 posters

Go down

Basing Help for FOW Empty Basing Help for FOW

Post by scurrdi Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:25 pm

Hey guys,

So I'm working on my army both in general and for Hurricon and I'm thinking about doing a little different basing for each infantry platoon to help me recognize them. I plan on keeping the same theme (outdoors, grasslands/forest/farm) but want a little different variety for each one.

I saw alot of the broken trees and partial walls on the FOW site. Do you guys do anything similar? If so, do you just use green stuff or is there a product I can buy to help with this process?

Thanks!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Basing Help for FOW Empty Re: Basing Help for FOW

Post by Ovich Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:01 pm

Dan,
What I've decided to do to differentiate between my 5 different infantry squads is to paint the bezel on the edge of the base for each platoon a slightly different color. So for instance 1 of my platoons has Iyaden Darksun around the edge, the second one has desert yellow, and the third will probably have graveyard earth. The rest of the base itself is kept the same color, along with the desert flock, to keep continuity. The effect I think is subtle enough to create an overall basic look for army, but apparent enough for you to tell your units apart while gaming. It's important I think though, to make sure that the colors you choose are fairly close on the color wheel, so you do not disturb the overall continuity of your army colors.

I have avoided walls or trees on my infantry bases because I didn't like the way they created a static feel to the models, loosing some of the kinetic feeling of the grunts rushing forward.

I do think they may look great however on bases that are clearly meant to be static such as anti tank guns, artillery, heavy mortars, and even heavy machine guns. Crouching down behind walls or sandbags or logs, would probably look really awesome.

I've avoided fully painting my machine guns, mortars, and anti tank guns, because I'm undecided about added those things to them.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:34 am

Gotchya. Yeah I considered that option for a few of them as well. I've got one group which is modeled to be moving around something or another so I may do something with them. However I think your idea is a sound one for sure.

Thanks for the input Stephan!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Warlord Solskritt Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:22 pm

I bought a few bases from a company that makes really nice resin bases for FoW.Here's the link:Kerr and King They've got some nice field/farm/countryside bases.
Warlord Solskritt
Warlord Solskritt
Imperial Guard Commissar

Male
Number of posts : 1105
Armies : Rats,Uruk-Hai,Germans
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by ImAShakiraholic Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:52 pm

cool bases!!!
ImAShakiraholic
ImAShakiraholic
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1255
Armies : Chaos, Tau, Eldar, Tyranids, Necrons, Space Marines :: Vampire Counts, Hordes of Chaos (Khorne)
Registration date : 2008-02-29

http://www.40KWreckingCrew.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down