The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dwarf advice

+2
Diosamblet
luis the young
6 posters

Go down

Dwarf advice Empty Dwarf advice

Post by luis the young Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:05 pm

So im gonna break out my stuntie army for next tournament and wanted some tips on how to use them and what to take.

Is Thorek worth it at 2250 ?

Rune Lord on anvil vs Lord on shield. Which one do you guys recomend ?

Is a Demon Slayer worth taking as a Lord Choice ?

Hammerers or Ironbreakers ?

Wth do you use the Gyrocopter for beside harrasing and march blocking, ive nevr seen one use that it affects me in a big way, is like an annoying fly.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Dwarf advice Empty Re: Dwarf advice

Post by Diosamblet Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:19 pm

I think the gyro is a really good choice, since you can charge it in with a big block of dwarves. It's 20 inch charge range prevents your enemy from fleeing and that way you can actually charge something. It's also got a 3d6 pursuit move.
Diosamblet
Diosamblet
Primarch

Number of posts : 672
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:44 pm

Gyro is useful in many ways, but only against particular armies.

The march-blocking and and general harassment is critical for shooty dwarf army IMO, as it forces your opponent to either focus on the annoying machine (thus not shooting your dwarves) OR move hella slow while your army blasts him to bits.

Also, against T3 armies, the main gun on the Gyro, a flame template, is fantastic. Move 20" to the flank of a big infantry block of say, Clanrats, and poof! You've got 10 or more under the template. Also works well against enemy war machines, since you can usually get all the crewmembers in one go, and they are lightly armored.

I don't know much about Thorek, but after playing several seasoned Dwarf players and never having seen him, I'd probably say he's not worth it.

Lord on Shield is a pretty solid staple, as with the runic emporium you can basically make him do whatever the hell you want. I've only seen the anvil twice, and while it worked quite well for Neal against me, he did use the special character and it cost him approx. 500 pts or more. Personally, I don't think it's worth it, at least not at 2250.

With 7th Ed, any character who's out by himself doesn't stand a chance.

Hammerers or Ironbreakers is really a matter of personal preferences. If your going for survivability to hit back against your opponent, then Ironbreakers are your better bet. If your going for the ability to stick around, probably no matter what, then Hammerers are a good choice. Hammerers, if using handwep & shield, can get a 3+ save in CC (still S4 attacks mind you). If you've got a Lord in the unit, then not only are they stubborn, but also immune to fear and terror (and thus will never auto-break). It makes for a, very expensive, but also very solid center block. Most likely why you see Hammerers, particularly since the great weapon option provides them with the ability to kill high toughness or heavily armored units.

Hope that helped Luis!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:45 am

All Dwarf players at Ard Boys ran Thorek - so I think that says something.

The coppter certainly has some uses. The flame blast is great and you actually get some movement.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:08 am

Thanks for the tips guys.

I got hammerers and Ironbreakers, thing is now deciding what exactly i want, shooty or melee. Ironbreakers get a 2+ save in CC !

The Gyrocopter sounds good, but im also contemplating miners. Miners popping out behind enemy lines + anvil that can make them move or charge = golden oportunity.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army

Back to top Go down

Post by Beornegar Granitebrow Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:16 am

At 2250 I wouldn't take Thorek. he uses up close to aquarter of your points. I would probably use a regular anvil at 2250 if you want miners.

Demon slayer is a no go. He dies too easily.

for IB or Hammerers, I would take both. IB with the rune of stoicism are pretty good.

Gyros help out a lot, just don't forget to move them.

Last edited by Beornegar Granitebrow on Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Beornegar Granitebrow
Beornegar Granitebrow
Cultist

Male
Number of posts : 57
Armies : DWARFS, BEASTMEN, SPACE ORKS, TROLLBLOODS
Registration date : 2009-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:30 pm

What Rune Combo do you recomend on a figting Thane, and whats the most useful Rune for a BSB ?
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Diosamblet Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:37 pm

the rune that makes all your dwarves Movement 4 is expensive at 100 pts, but I think it's totally worth it.
Diosamblet
Diosamblet
Primarch

Back to top Go down

Post by bayardnbk Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:14 am

Sounds like everyone has all the bases covered.

Thane [shield, stone, MR swiftness, cleaving], (117)
(could get the strength one and switch out with +1 attack, could use a 2h and go a different route)

Depends on if you are going melee or shooting will determine you ASB.
Thane [ASB, shield, MR Grungni], (142)
Thane [ASB, shield, MR fear, stoicism, guarding], (222)

Gyros are good, but you have to be careful with them. As a dwarf player you get excited how fast you can move, but they will die easily if not positioned well.

I don't know any rune that allows your dwarfs to moved 4 inches.

In 'Ard Boyz I ran a 2 Gyro with all melee, miners, and Thorek, trying to smash the armies and come from all angles. Ended up drawing every game, so boring.

If Thorek blows up you now are just calculating how much you lost by.

bayardnbk
Cultist

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Diosamblet Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:00 pm

bayardnbk wrote:I don't know any rune that allows your dwarfs to moved 4 inches.

hehe, I just wanted to see if anyone would open their codex to look for the rune while thinking "omg how could I have missed that one!?"
Diosamblet
Diosamblet
Primarch

Back to top Go down

Post by Beornegar Granitebrow Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:23 pm

kinda figured
Beornegar Granitebrow
Beornegar Granitebrow
Cultist

Male
Number of posts : 57
Armies : DWARFS, BEASTMEN, SPACE ORKS, TROLLBLOODS
Registration date : 2009-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:04 am

I gave my Thane the Master rune that lets you wound on 2+. Is that a good rune ? looks pretty strong, specially vs all the monsters that roam the battle field this days.

My BSB has Grungi, guarding and courage.

Are master Engis any good ? i dont think ive ever seen anyone take him.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:41 pm

I've seen them a few times. They give a warhammer hard cover and also allow the rerolls (not to mention be a character with a warmachine, making fast cav think twice).

People generally take it and put it with a grudge thrower, as it allows them to reroll both the artillery and scatter dice.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by bayardnbk Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:46 am

Also they take Master E with cannons, because it bumps your damage from d3 to d6

bayardnbk
Cultist

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down