The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tournament or not

+10
ImAShakiraholic
jspyd3rx
The Eldar Guy
Kyle
ShadowMaster
scurrdi
King Hiss
KingdomCome
Death_Company_Orks
Dice_Runt
14 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Shall we run a tournament

Tournament or not  - Page 3 Vote_lcap60%Tournament or not  - Page 3 Vote_rcap 60% 
[ 9 ]
Tournament or not  - Page 3 Vote_lcap40%Tournament or not  - Page 3 Vote_rcap 40% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 15

Poll closed

Tournament or not  - Page 3 Empty Re: Tournament or not

Post by Dice_Runt Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:34 pm

ImAShakiraholic wrote:99.9% of people dont play a game to lose.

The NBA has powergaming franchises... because winning is exhilerating.

wow max you missed the whole point. it is designed to have a more challenging tournament...and an international system that works for the game. but ok this gone on why to long. I will post an option that all might like...
Dice_Runt
Dice_Runt
Dark Apostle

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by McSheehy Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:17 pm

I've avoided any form of commenting or voting on this thread.
I didn't need another situation in which I might loose my temper with the people here... but...

I've been re-reading through the rule book again (I do that every couple of weeks with all the systems).
Now I don't just read the main rules, I read everything in the book (rules, backstory, game ideas, etc.) and I ran across this little bit again that I thought might be worth sharing.

It's on page 446 part of the Warhammer Battle's chapter and the Gaming Clubs & Events section.
On tournaments:
"Before we talk about the conventions used at a tournament, it's important to make clear that Warhammer is not specifically designed for highly competitive, cutthroat play. It is vital that players who come along to such an event do so in a spirit of friendly competition, where taking part is more important than winning. Remember the old adage :'It matters not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game.' As long as you follow this advice, a Warhammer tournament will provide some of the best gaming you will ever have, including a chance to meet other players, see magnificent armies and immerse yourself in the hobby for a whole weekend."

It's bits like that in the rule book that I feel helps to give an insight into the minds of the guys who wrote the book.

McSheehy
Traitor Marine

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2009-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Dice_Runt Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:29 pm

nice touch keith
Dice_Runt
Dice_Runt
Dark Apostle

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:35 pm

I get the sentiment but it seems like a cop out for what could otherwise be a clear and balanced ruleset while remaining enjoyable.

The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1571
Armies : Eldar(40k & BFG), Dark Eldar (WIP), & Dark Elves
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:44 pm

Well put Chris
It's the beer and prezels change that has alot of peeps turned off IMO

ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by King Hiss Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:05 pm

look ppl the games made to have fun thats y its called a game yes everyone enjoys winning but ppl that only show up to win is wat kills things a game is meant to play and enjoy yea winning is nice as long as ur not over competive and yea there have bin plenty of changes from 7th to 8th but if u dnt play enough or give the new edition, things are different in the game yes but its still the same basic consept im corntly trying to work on a competive list but in order for me to use it im putting the things i like bout the game like my hard hitting knights a.k.a heavy cav yea ppl say that cav doesnt work yet it works nicely to me most armys are all bout the same u just got to enjoy wat ur using i know ive changed armies like 9 times if u enjoy ur army nd understand the list ur using even tho its not the nastyes ull get results from it

King Hiss
Traitor Guardsman

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:29 pm

Where the fuck is the grammar police?
Lets go Heat Basketball !
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1233
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods
Registration date : 2009-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:30 am

ImAShakiraholic wrote:99.9% of people don't play a game to lose.

The NBA has power gaming franchises... because winning is exhilerating.

To bad 99.9% of the Fantasy players don't participate to have fun. Unfortunately Shak is not alone in this attitude. I find it interesting the GW acknowledges this problem as demonstrated on page 446 on their own rule book.

King Hiss, I could not continue reading your one run-on sentence with bad spelling and terrible grammar. It appears you had something important to say.
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1451
Armies : AT-43, Pyrates, Battle Tech
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:54 am

The game is supposed to be for fun, but sadly the game became big over the years with the hardcore tourny mind set and now lot of people don't want to let that go. The tourny scene was a big aspect for the game, and the changes to WFB has lot of folks upset.

I always found the tournament hardcore WAAC community such a negative aspect of the game, it wasn't a game at times.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:15 pm

This WAAC deal is a non-issue in our group.

We have never had any major issues at any fantasy event I have attended. Sure, sometimes I don't agree with the judge's call - but I always accept it.

The dice dictate what happens in combat - It's not like you can argue the results.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by jspyd3rx Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:30 pm

Here is the thing. Tournaments are hardcore. They are stressfull and sometimes need a huge break from the game afterwards. Games for fun is one thing, but tourneys are a whole other ballgame. If ya want to play for fun with house rules and what not, just play. When you start adding prize support, it does diminish the fun aspect. Let me stop ranting, all points have been expressed already. If you guys want a bigger fantasy turnout at all, make your regular and tourny games small with no added house rules. The same goes for tourneys. Or just have a newb list ready if someone new wants to play.
jspyd3rx
jspyd3rx
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1190
Registration date : 2009-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by King Hiss Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:45 pm

Sorry guys i wrote that in a bit of a hurry lol. My bad Smile

King Hiss
Traitor Guardsman

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Dice_Runt Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:48 pm

jspyd3rx wrote:Here is the thing. Tournaments are hardcore. They are stressfull and sometimes need a huge break from the game afterwards. Games for fun is one thing, but tourneys are a whole other ballgame. If ya want to play for fun with house rules and what not, just play. When you start adding prize support, it does diminish the fun aspect. Let me stop ranting, all points have been expressed already. If you guys want a bigger fantasy turnout at all, make your regular and tourny games small with no added house rules. The same goes for tourneys. Or just have a newb list ready if someone new wants to play.

why do you seem so against "event rules"
Dice_Runt
Dice_Runt
Dark Apostle

Back to top Go down

Post by jspyd3rx Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:03 pm

I don't have a good grasp of the rules yet. Throwing that package and limitations just seems a bit much. Would you also compete in the tourny you run? That could be a conflict of interest. If the rules were standard rule set, I really wouldn't have a problem.
jspyd3rx
jspyd3rx
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:04 pm

Dice_Runt wrote:why do you seem so against "event rules"

Seriously? Check out this thread. Plenty of arguments against it.

I voted no. I'm still putting together my fantasy army, but I don't believe or support made up house rules in a tournament setting where the store puts up money. Invite me to your house and I'll try Dice Runt WFB all you want, but I'll never pay money or want the store to spend money on amateur game designer hour. Warhammer isn't cheap, and I made the conscious decision to get in it and support it with my money - key thing is, the decision was to support WARHAMMER, not Warhammer Etc. That's not what I paid to play nor what I'm building my armies for. If my army book says "you can use X" then you damn well believe that I want the right to use X, not to say "naah, we didn't think that was cool in how we feel the game should play so don't do that"

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Dice_Runt Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:08 pm

Vycem wrote:
Dice_Runt wrote:why do you seem so against "event rules"

Seriously? Check out this thread. Plenty of arguments against it.

I voted no. I'm still putting together my fantasy army, but I don't believe or support made up house rules in a tournament setting where the store puts up money. Invite me to your house and I'll try Dice Runt WFB all you want, but I'll never pay money or want the store to spend money on amateur game designer hour. Warhammer isn't cheap, and I made the conscious decision to get in it and support it with my money - key thing is, the decision was to support WARHAMMER, not Warhammer Etc. That's not what I paid to play nor what I'm building my armies for. If my army book says "you can use X" then you damn well believe that I want the right to use X, not to say "naah, we didn't think that was cool in how we feel the game should play so don't do that"

you know i did not come up with the rule set right??? lol and joel does not put up money plus i am been thinking about running the one and only ETC event free so yea!!
Dice_Runt
Dice_Runt
Dark Apostle

Back to top Go down

Post by jspyd3rx Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:18 pm

That is a whole different matter! Free brings the fun back into whatever. Though I would most likely be very confused.
jspyd3rx
jspyd3rx
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Dice_Runt Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:20 pm

it would also be ran for vets only.
Dice_Runt
Dice_Runt
Dark Apostle

Back to top Go down

Post by jspyd3rx Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:23 pm

Thanks:p have fun. Will show up anyway and ask the newbest questions possible.
jspyd3rx
jspyd3rx
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:31 pm

Yeah, I know you didn't write them, a bunch of other non-game designers in Europe did.

Hey, if it's free, then yeah, run what you want and I hope you guys enjoy the game.

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:23 pm

Dice_Runt wrote:it would also be ran for vets only.

Luis and I still play without you throwing an event for us.
Why not include everyone. The fact is, without some new blood you won't have enough players for an event.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dice_Runt Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:51 am

well it would seem that throu votes the gaming group is voting etc
Dice_Runt
Dice_Runt
Dark Apostle

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhigga15 Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:17 am

I would love to play, but I am still building my army, (Very Slowly)
Jhigga15
Jhigga15
Neophyte

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2011-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3