The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warmachine

+4
Ovich
lordfairfax2001
ImAShakiraholic
ShadowMaster
8 posters

Go down

Warmachine Empty Warmachine

Post by ShadowMaster Mon May 19, 2008 5:40 pm

Have any of you guys played Warmachine or Hordes?

I was looking at this stuff the other day over at War and Pieces in Davie. It is a 'steampunk' based table top battle game.

One thing I liked was that you get all the rules and all army details in one $25 (SC) book
Another is each model has a reference card so you don't need to flip through the book
You can chance your army play style by swapping out your general (vs. buying a whole new set of troops)
You can get the typical 500 points needed for about $100

Anyone have any advice on this game and how it plays vs. WHFB?

Thanks
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Warmachine Empty Re: Warmachine

Post by ImAShakiraholic Mon May 19, 2008 6:20 pm

I have seen it played and it's alittle unilateral to me all about character killing unless you play missions in tournies. Plus I don't think there is much room for conversion or painting differences. I used to play, i think one of my army transports has a Cryx or Menoth army still.
ImAShakiraholic
ImAShakiraholic
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1255
Armies : Chaos, Tau, Eldar, Tyranids, Necrons, Space Marines :: Vampire Counts, Hordes of Chaos (Khorne)
Registration date : 2008-02-29

http://www.40KWreckingCrew.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lordfairfax2001 Mon May 19, 2008 8:15 pm

Chris played up north...I think he still has about 300 points...I played 2 games. Seemed interesting, but I didn't/don't need to get addicted to yet another game.
lordfairfax2001
lordfairfax2001
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 739
Armies : WHFB: High Elves, Wood Elves, Lizardmen and many more; WH40K: SM, Ordo Malleus, Eldar; BFG: Eldar; M
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Mon May 19, 2008 10:43 pm

I think the game back when we used to see it A.D. was much simpler. They've expanded it and made it better I think. It's gaining momentum.

From what i hear, Privateer Press is a much better company all around then GW.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Tue May 20, 2008 12:18 am

I know there was some talk about the games on the Silver Dragon Forums. I hadn't heard about it until then and don't know much about it.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Tue May 20, 2008 7:26 am

I occassionally play warmachine. I have a cryx army. I really like the game mechanics. It's a much more strategic game than WFB, as there are so many more offensive and defensive options in combat coupled with magic. Yes it is more character driven in the sense that if you loose your warcaster the game is pretty much over. But what I like is that although it is character driven, the characters are killable by regular units unlike how it can be in 40k. It is also a more of a skirmish based game which makes it fun cause you can play a quick game in about an hour and a half. Joel used to carry it but it never gained any momentum.
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Grombart Tue May 20, 2008 8:41 am

Sounds interesting actually. But it's jet another $$$ sink. But should it gain some interest, I would not be averse to buying a small army and trying it out.
Grombart
Grombart
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 280

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Tue May 20, 2008 4:13 pm

Well compared to a 2nd WHFB Army - it is much less $$$. For the cost of a Battalion box, you basicly can get a full list for the standard 500 point game. Also, the soft copy rule book at $25 is all encompassing - there are no additional 'army books' needed.

It is character driven because, like chess, if you loose your Warcaster - the game is over.

Hurricane - How does switching your Warcaster change how the rest of the army works? Can you give an example of that?
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Abaddon Tue May 20, 2008 5:42 pm

I have a Khador and Cygnar army and I am slowly but steadily painting them. The game mechanics are nice and like Eric said there are no cheese models. It plays a lot on combinations, and relies on units supporting each other with abilities and strenghts.

I like it a lot.
Abaddon
Abaddon
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 285
Armies : Infinity: Pan Oceania

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Wed May 21, 2008 9:51 am

How many models in a typical game (per side)?

How many do you need to 'complete' an army?
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Wed May 21, 2008 10:26 am

Well, every character is unique which changes game play dramatically. Some casters have offensive spells, some have defensive, some have offensive debuffing spells and otheres defensive buffing spells. There is so much to it. Also a cool thing is that every warcaster has a unique feat that you can use once per game and deciding when to use it is crucial. I like the fact that the game doesn't play the same way every game. I like that you can strategically decide your moves as the other player is playing. You also have to allocate your focus points each turn which is how you command your warmachines. It is a very strategic game becuase you have to decide what warmachine might be most important and how many focuse points you need to give him. Focus allows you to cast spells to, so it can be difficult deciding where it is best to spend your focus. I like to play with a caster named denegra. She has a spell that knocks warmachines down. And it is so fun to set people up with that spell then, come in an hit them when they are down.

The models are beautiful too.

We always play 300 points. That keeps the game at about 1.5 to 2 hours of play and it is roughly 5-9 models depending on what you use of course. That would include only 1 warcaster.
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager

Back to top Go down

Post by Grombart Wed May 21, 2008 4:06 pm

Sounds interesting. Does Joel have any of these models?
Grombart
Grombart
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 280

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Wed May 21, 2008 5:02 pm

He used to... I am almost positive that he doesnt have any more.
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down