The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battle Report using 5th Edition rules

+4
Dr. Love
luis the young
scurrdi
lordfairfax2001
8 posters

Go down

Battle Report using 5th Edition rules Empty Battle Report using 5th Edition rules

Post by lordfairfax2001 Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:16 pm

Saw this thread over on B&C.

Battle Report Using 5th Edition Rules

Sounded like a veteran Blood Angel player who provided a detailed Battle Report on the new rules. They were allowed to use them at an in-store game with the red-shirts holding the books, but letting them read them.

Decent insight into the mechanics of how 5th ed will play out. Some surprising finds.
lordfairfax2001
lordfairfax2001
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 739
Armies : WHFB: High Elves, Wood Elves, Lizardmen and many more; WH40K: SM, Ordo Malleus, Eldar; BFG: Eldar; M
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Battle Report using 5th Edition rules Empty Re: Battle Report using 5th Edition rules

Post by scurrdi Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:34 pm

Well I just read this and I have to admit that this is gonna be a real interesting change in the game play. Looks like shooting has become pretty much impossible to do effectively, but I guess guard armies won't be effected too much since everything get's their save against most of my fire anyways.

Sounds ironically to me like the Orks are gonna get the best ends of this deal. With their trucks now getting Str 7 or 8 hits with the ramming rule and getting all sorts of cover saves for LOS, I think the Orks are gonna be even harder then they already are. Particularly with the new CC rules.

Either way I guess I don't know how I'm going to like or dislike this new edition until I play a few games, which of course won't be for awhile unfortunately.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Battle Report using 5th Edition rules Empty Re: Battle Report using 5th Edition rules

Post by luis the young Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:57 pm

im loving the new ramming rules, it means that once my truks unload, they are gonna become mighty engines of destruction !

the new fearless rule is gonna suck for orcs with large numbers and nids, cause if they get assaulted and suffer a ton of wounds, they are gonna be loosign a BUNCH of models, this is specially gonna screw nids over hardcore, as most of their units are fearless, at least as logn as they are within synapse.

Guard armies just became nasty as hell, their tanks are gonna be almost impossible to take out.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:08 pm

Well they are gonna live longer, thats a fact. I don't know about anything else. Shooting is gonna be hard as balls to do now though, with everything (including the horde armies) getting all sorts of cover saves.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Love Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:15 am

The new ramming rules makes me happy in the pants. it makes me just want to start building all my unbuild/painted Trukks right now.
Dr. Love
Dr. Love
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 344
Armies : Orks, Empire, Imperial Guard (WIP)
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:02 am

Gotta love GW...

They spent the entire 4th edition trying to shore up the rules and make 3rd edition more streamlined and enjoyable. Now in the 5th edition they are basically reinventing the way the game is going to be played.

At least it looks like the new rules are going to make the game slightly more challenging and tactical.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:06 am

and longer, games are gonna get a lot longer now between 2 shooty armies.. can you imagine Ig and Tau going at it ??? brrrrrrrr...
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Grombart Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:34 am

If shooting is tougher, that means Tau and IG are screwed. Yeah lets break 2 armies again.
Grombart
Grombart
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Battle Report using 5th Edition rules Empty cry me a river, build a bridge, and GET OVER IT

Post by dork_jedi Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:52 pm

Grombart wrote:If shooting is tougher, that means Tau and IG are screwed. Yeah lets break 2 armies again.

*puts on flak jacket and flame-proof coveralls*
Seriously, guys, get over it. Realize that the game and its rules are a "Living Document" and will change from time to time (or in the case of 5th, quite frequently). We hear "waah, Eldar or overpowered!" or "Waah, Orks are broken" or "Chaos blows monkeys now" now it's "waah, 5th edition breaks my army".

deal with it.
adjust your tactics. change your strategy. update your army. change armies altogether. but most importantly, enjoy the game.

these guys [GW] (with some notable exceptions who are no longer with the company) bust ass to try to bring you the best product they can. They are attempting to make the game more enjoyable. if you enjoy it not only will you play more, but you will buy more and bring your friends to buy more which means more money for them.

Also, the 5th edition is not real until the book is in your hands. rumors are subject to change, don't get your panties in a bunch over nothing.

if you don't like the game, stop playing, but please understand that until it falls out of copyright, it's going to change.
dork_jedi
dork_jedi
Demon Prince

Male
Number of posts : 1002

Back to top Go down

Post by Grombart Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:23 pm

They are attempting to make the game more enjoyable

Sorry dude I disagree. IMO the point of these changes is to make more money. They continually make armies unbeatable, then break the army so that you have to continue to buy more and more. That way you have a good to great army, but with the new edition it sucks, so you go out and buy the new unbeatable army, then they change the game so this unbeatable army is crap so you buy a new army, and it goes on and on.

When ever I heard people express the feelings I expressed above, I used to think it was crap, but after a while I caught on. But whatever, you can still enjoy what you have if you don't mind having a weak army--more of a challenge I guess. It's no big deal. I personally don't like a game that is run like that, but if you do keep at it.

Now don't get me wrong, the 40K world is awesome. I still buy the books and am looking to play Dark Heresy, it's just the miniature game that I'm jaded on. But who knows, if I get the bug I might play again. bounce
Grombart
Grombart
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:47 am

I was more just commenting about the new rules-set. I mean I won't even be able to play any 40k for a few more months anyways so I'll just be reading the rules until I get to figure out what I'm doing.

I agree about the entire "just have fun" bit. It's important not to lose sight of that and GW is hard not to push the making money bit, since they are a company.

The only regret I have is that the WD issues are not more packed full of stuff like they used to be. I've got some from a few years ago that are packed full of goodness!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:32 am

It's really a shame what's happened to White Dwarf. It too was looking at an older Pre- issue 300 WD the other day and marveled how good things were, especially before Lord of the Rings.

There are a few cool articles these days, but in the old WD the entire mag was chock full of cool shit.

Now it's one big friggin advertisment. I'm sorry but who are you fucking advertising to with your magazine GW? The same people that already know about your game. Then you wonder why the company is struggling.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by dork_jedi Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:49 am

Ovich wrote:It's really a shame what's happened to White Dwarf. It too was looking at an older Pre- issue 300 WD the other day and marveled how good things were, especially before Lord of the Rings.

There are a few cool articles these days, but in the old WD the entire mag was chock full of cool shit.

Now it's one big friggin advertisment. I'm sorry but who are you fucking advertising to with your magazine GW? The same people that already know about your game. Then you wonder why the company is struggling.

completely agree. i can honestly say that the *only* reason i ever pick it up now is to see the 'eavy Metal painted minis, but then I can just go over to CMoN for that.
dork_jedi
dork_jedi
Demon Prince

Male
Number of posts : 1002

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:36 pm

I don't have a subscription and usually I only get them when LOTR isn't being focused on. I like reading some of the tactica stuff and battle reports since it keeps my interest in the game when I'm at school and can't play, but the old ones are just much more interesting in my opinion.

In other thoughts, maybe someone should make a Miami-based newsletter type thing? Maybe like a quarterly issue involving some battle-reports, tactics and such, and events that are being planned? Put copies in both the dragon and joel's for the gamers who stop by to bring the community back together?

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Forcefed24 Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:04 pm

scurrdi wrote:I don't have a subscription and usually I only get them when LOTR isn't being focused on. I like reading some of the tactica stuff and battle reports since it keeps my interest in the game when I'm at school and can't play, but the old ones are just much more interesting in my opinion.

In other thoughts, maybe someone should make a Miami-based newsletter type thing? Maybe like a quarterly issue involving some battle-reports, tactics and such, and events that are being planned? Put copies in both the dragon and joel's for the gamers who stop by to bring the community back together?

Or just make sure people know how to get to this forum and we can do all of the above here.
Forcefed24
Forcefed24
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 436
Armies : Thousand Sons, Necrons, Tyranids

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:58 pm

True dat.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down