The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dust Warfare, anyone playing or interested in doing so?

+4
rokassan
Kyle
TheLimey
Frantic
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Dust Warfare, anyone playing or interested in doing so? Empty Dust Warfare, anyone playing or interested in doing so?

Post by Frantic Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:21 pm

So, I just picked up the rulebook (which is only $20 as a PDF at wargamevault.com) and the starter box and I'm enjoying this game. Its an alternate universe/sci-fi WWII setting game. The rules are simple and strait forward but there is still plenty of strategy and tactics to be had. The minis are pretty cheap at around $12 per squad for soldiers and they come pre-built and ready to paint, in fact they already have a base coat...so no silver surfers Smile

Here's the official link for those who haven't heard of it: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=173&esem=1

and a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzOd7BGzj9Y

I've got the 2 starter set armies so if anyone is interested in trying it get at me!
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 762
Armies : WoTR: Gondor & Harad. AT-43:UNA & Red Blok. Battletech: Clan Jade Falcon & FedSuns.
Registration date : 2009-02-19

http://www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Back to top Go down

Dust Warfare, anyone playing or interested in doing so? Empty Re: Dust Warfare, anyone playing or interested in doing so?

Post by TheLimey Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:40 pm

Actually going to try this at Hurricon, if I can get into that session.
TheLimey
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 266
Armies : Games played: Starship Troopers, Epic...
Registration date : 2009-08-27

Back to top Go down

Dust Warfare, anyone playing or interested in doing so? Empty Re: Dust Warfare, anyone playing or interested in doing so?

Post by Kyle Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:57 pm

The board game version of it is nice simple game, it's like a very simplified version of AT-43 which of course is obvious since most of the people who made the game worked on AT-43. The miniature game rules are ok, nice and simple but they have some awkward rules that feels broken. Such as how special powers are shared which creates some OP units.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLimey Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:05 pm

The miniatures rules share some concepts with Starship Troopers rules from Mongoose.
TheLimey
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:46 pm

Only issue I have is getting into this game and then it dying within a month. We've seen this happen waaaay to many times. Like Infinity, AT-43, Battletech, Lord of the Rings. Javier mentioned the game to me. He's getting the rule book. If He,Eric and Stephan get into it I will, maybe...At least there will be a core of guys to play with. Im just very careful now with what I invest in. Oh yeah, then there more shit to paint as well.

Last edited by rokassan on Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLimey Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:48 pm

Well, if you have AT-43, I think you can just use those mini's as proxies.
TheLimey
TheLimey
Traitor Captain

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:55 pm

Sold that a long time ago.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:52 pm

Buy the starter only at first to play. It works a 2 player board game essentially and you can use the figs to play Dust Warfare.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:43 pm

Heh, funny thing is I have played every game you mentioned this month bill Smile

Do you have my number bill? If not pm me and I will send it to you. My schedule is modertately flexible. If you ever want to play any of these games let me know.
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male
Armies : WoTR: Gondor & Harad. AT-43:UNA & Red Blok. Battletech: Clan Jade Falcon & FedSuns.

Back to top Go down

Post by Warbird Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:55 pm

Mike when and where are you still playing LoTR???

I want to play some

Warbird
Aspiring Champion

Male
Number of posts : 231
Armies : FOW: US Paras (Late War) WOTR: Elves
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Abaddon Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:16 pm

Well. It seems hat we got 5 people into it. The 2 cops (Eric and Bill), Ash, Hector, and myself. The rules are awesome and the best thing is that it is not GW. I think we will be playing this game for while. It has a lot of potential. For those interested in trying you can pick up the Core box set and the Rulebook, and get started. The rulebooks can be baught in PDF format as well. They are about 130-140 points per side and well balanced to fight each other.

I am so done paying money to company that does not care about the players.

For anyone interested here is a quick list of reasons why to play and why not to play.

The possitives:
+ great simple rule system that is easy to learn but hard to master.
+ all armies so far are balanced.
+ Miniatures are really cheap.
+ miniatures are beautiful.
+ not one unit can run the tablem there is no OP unit that can rule them all.
+ for those who don't have the time or are too lazy(Luis) to paint, they can be baught pre-painted. the quality of the pre-painted stufff is much better hten the AT-43 stuff.

The Negatives:
- another rule system to learn
- limited armies to choose from
- most characters are only sold in expansion boxed sets. But some of the boxed sets come with building so its not so bad.
- for some people they don't like the random initiative every turn. You roll for initiative every turn. The way it works is that you roll dice equal to the number of squads you have on the table and the player that rolls the least 5,6s get initiative.
- Eric does not read the rules then complains when he tries to do something and I tell him he can't. lol!
Abaddon
Abaddon
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 285
Armies : Infinity: Pan Oceania
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:08 pm

Make that seven. Myself and my friend Oscar (used to play WoTR Dwarves) are also playing dust. We both have 200 pt armies.
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Abaddon Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:10 pm

I cant wait till they release the Japanese army.

Eric and Ash play Allies, Hector and I play Axis, and Bill plays the SSU.
Abaddon
Abaddon
Traitor Captain

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Warbird Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:35 pm

Where can I see their miniatures range? All I can find in the fantasy flight website is links to buy the rules.

Warbird
Aspiring Champion

Male
Number of posts : 231
Armies : FOW: US Paras (Late War) WOTR: Elves
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Abaddon Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:55 am

www.dust-models.com

Click on the products then look for the Dust Tactics Premium so you can see the range. The models are a combination of hard and soft plastic. The soft plastic is for the infantry hands, head, and guns.
Abaddon
Abaddon
Traitor Captain

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:59 am

I don't see any reason why you'd want to pick up Dust over Warmachine/Hordes

WM/H has a HUGE player base and is very well balanced. Dust is the next AT43/Infinity. Hot for a month and then Frantic will be the only one playing it.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:20 am

Some people don't like Warmachine/Hordes?
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:37 am

Where would this large player base be for Warmachine? Certainly not at Joels. I remember investing in Warmachine and then the group that played down here dispersed within a few months. Maybe theres a large player base in Broward, but that does me no good,I have enough trouble making time to go to Joels.
As Kyle said as well, maybe people have no interest in Warmachine. From what I observed about the game was it was a power gamers game. You had certain combinations of units that were effective and if you didnt play it that way your chance of winning was very low. Also its gotten expensive just like the rest of these games.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:39 am

You can use the Dust models for the Mini game or the board game as well. So there's a backup plan.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Abaddon Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:23 am

Bill is right, Warmachine/Hordes sucks. It's a Magic type game based on power combos. Played it a few times and sold all my figs. Units are not balanced and game system based around a few combos that if you don't use will get you wiped in 2 or 3 turns.

I found it as fun as getting a colonoscopy. But that was just me.

Dust is great. The game we played last weekend went back and forth and was not decided until the last turn. From what I have read on the forums this is pretty common.

I dont know about the others but I see our 4 guys playing this for a while.
Abaddon
Abaddon
Traitor Captain

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:17 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Bill is right, Warmachine/Hordes sucks. It's a Magic type game based on power combos. Played it a few times and sold all my figs. Units are not balanced and game system based around a few combos that if you don't use will get you wiped in 2 or 3 turns.

I found it as fun as getting a colonoscopy. But that was just me.

Dust is great. The game we played last weekend went back and forth and was not decided until the last turn. From what I have read on the forums this is pretty common.

I dont know about the others but I see our 4 guys playing this for a while.

Simple NOT TRUE
You get whiped in the beginning because you are new - it's like playing chess vs. someone who knows how. Until you catch up a bit, you'll get owned.
However, the game is VERY BALANCED. Any faction can win, any list can win. It's all about knowing how to use what you have vs. what is in front of you.

As for player base - not sure about Dade as I'm rarely down there these days; but we have about 40-50 active players in Broward spread over 4 stores. Friday nights in Davie, the gameing rages on until 2am. LOTS of Iron Kingdoms RPG action too. You may want to look at that if you want something new, I've heard nothing but great things about it.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:29 pm

I just can't get into the look of the game I guess. The whole steam punk thing just has absolutely no appeal to me. I can't get into it...the games look and universe is a big part of it to me.
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:53 pm

Fair enough Mike - and hey, Dust may rock. I don't really know.

I was more commenting about starting another game from scratch vs. playing something with a more established player base.

ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:32 pm

ShadowMaster wrote:any list can win.

Yea this is pretty much not true. The player behind it and luck will of course always factor in, but the game has it's meta just like any other, units no one uses, and balance issues. Just because it might feel more balanced than GW's product, doesn't really automatically make it that well of a balanced game. Factional balance is better as you don't usually see flavor of the month factions, but list making still is integral and not all lists are capable of being competitive. A person can say though that any list can win in essentially any game, as it is true to a point.

Issue I've always had with WM/Hordes is that it has a very rock/paper/scissors feel to it. Oh you picked that model? Well this model here says fuck you. Scenario play has also always and still is mess in WM/Hordes due to how the various abilities and caster/locks interact with the game. Just because one player chose a specific caster/lock in combo with a scenarios special rules, you are immediately screwed over. I've had my trolls just get locked down at times in a scenario with a feeling of, "well I'm fucked". I think the game only works well as a straight forward bash fest.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:36 am

Again - it's all about experience. Yes A may trump B, but you won't know that at first.

Also - if someone techs out a list specific for your army, you'll probably be in trouble. In a tournement, you can't switch the list up that much.

Also - SCENARIOS are key to the balance. Many casters who are "sub-par" at assassinations shine bright in scenario play. Old Witch or eDenny are both great examples. Scenarios remove the ability to just sit and chill for a turn to wait out a bad situation.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next