The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warmachine/Hordes

+13
Corpazious
ar2
The Eldar Guy
Abaddon
ShadowMaster
rokassan
DarkAngel_Cesar
luis the young
Vycem
Hurricane
Ovich
Warlord Solskritt
dork_jedi
17 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Warmachine/Hordes Empty Warmachine/Hordes

Post by dork_jedi Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:42 pm

I bought a starter box of Trollbloods for Hordes at 35% under retail and have played a couple demo games with other armies and I'm hooked. I'm not sure I'm going to continue buying GW stuff. (I plan on keeping my 40k stuff though).

I know I've asked before, but has ayone seen or tried a game of Warmachine or Hordes yet?

financially I think it's cheaper than GW stuff, only because a "warpack" or "faction box" is all you need to start and against another warpack or faction box you are on even ground. I think of it as Magic without the "collectible" part. You don't have to buy 10,000 packs (or trade a vital organ) to get that one model you need, like 40k you buy that one model, but unlike 40k, you don't need to buy 45 of those one model to be effective on the playing field.

I would like to start a forum about it but i'm not sure if it would be used...
dork_jedi
dork_jedi
Demon Prince

Male
Number of posts : 1002
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Warmachine/Hordes Empty Re: Warmachine/Hordes

Post by Warlord Solskritt Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:18 pm

Hmmmm....Maybe you could combine Heroclix,boardgames,and warmachines into one forum?
Warlord Solskritt
Warlord Solskritt
Imperial Guard Commissar

Male
Number of posts : 1105
Armies : Rats,Uruk-Hai,Germans
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:38 pm

I've been interested in Hordes for a long time now, but have been hesitant to buy simply because I don't know many who play the game here.

I don't want to shell out for a new game unless I know I can play on a regular basis.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by dork_jedi Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:57 pm

I am getting into it. Not sure where you live Stephan but I live in Miami Lakes and War & Pieces is 18 miles north of me (a little further than Joel's for me) in Davie and they have a large Hordes/Warmachine crowd.
dork_jedi
dork_jedi
Demon Prince

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dork_jedi Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:02 pm

Warlord Solskritt wrote:Hmmmm....Maybe you could combine Heroclix,boardgames,and warmachines into one forum?
I would but the OCD side of me wouldn't want clix to get on my hordes and i don't want boardgames to get on my clix. Yaknow?
dork_jedi
dork_jedi
Demon Prince

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:20 pm

Yeah,

I think the interest in WM and Hordes up there is the reason why they had the huge GW sell off. People playing much more of that up there.

Can't blame them. From what I hear, Privateer Press is definitely a company that has it's shit together. Unlike some other companies we may know ?
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:20 am

I play (havent in a while) warmachine. I have a pretty large Crix army. I have a bunch of stuff I havent even put together yet. I have so much crap to paint from so many different games it isnt funny! But I did like Warmachine. Its a fun game. I love the strategy aspect to the game. There are so many different things you can do on your turn. It isnt simply move/shoot/assault.
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:57 am

I'm like Hurricane, I have a bunch of shit I need to put together and paint.

I have a Khador army for Warmachine and a Legion of Everblight army for Hordes. I almost sold my legion to fund more GW, but didn't get a good enough offer so decided to keep it.

Reading through the rules, I feel I really need to get some practice to fully get a handle of it - there's just so much to do. The game is also VERY combo heavy, reminds me of magic. I'm worried because from what I hear, it's the kind of game that veterans know specific combos that will just rape you in a turn or two and game over. It's not like warhammer where yeah, you may lose, but you have the time to see what you're doing wrong and you even have a chance for luck and tactics to save you, learning how to tweak your list next time. From what I hear, WM is more like "Gotcha! This caster's power and this unit's ability means you're army is deadz0rs now LOLOLOLOLOL". But I'm hoping I'm wrong.

One thing I don't like is that all of the models are metal, so pinning the Jacks is a must, and a royal pain in the ass.

But overall I like the fluff, I like the models (though some of the Everblight faces are a bit retarded), and It'd be cool if WM/Hordes ever started up down here. Though given my painting queue...yeah. I'm still trying to get my damn Necrons done!

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by dork_jedi Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:22 am

Vycem wrote:I have a Khador army for Warmachine and a Legion of Everblight army for Hordes. I almost sold my legion to fund more GW, but didn't get a good enough offer so decided to keep it.

Reading through the rules, I feel I really need to get some practice to fully get a handle of it - there's just so much to do. The game is also VERY combo heavy, reminds me of magic. I'm worried because from what I hear, it's the kind of game that veterans know specific combos that will just rape you in a turn or two and game over. It's not like warhammer where yeah, you may lose, but you have the time to see what you're doing wrong and you even have a chance for luck and tactics to save you, learning how to tweak your list next time. From what I hear, WM is more like "Gotcha! This caster's power and this unit's ability means you're army is deadz0rs now LOLOLOLOLOL". But I'm hoping I'm wrong.

One thing I don't like is that all of the models are metal, so pinning the Jacks is a must, and a royal pain in the ass.

But overall I like the fluff, I like the models (though some of the Everblight faces are a bit retarded), and It'd be cool if WM/Hordes ever started up down here. Though given my painting queue...yeah. I'm still trying to get my damn Necrons done!
I like the combo-ness of the game, I like that this guy influences how that guy and this unit work together and I can do X with these other guys and so on.
I'm sure there are some ass-hats who could possibly get off an early assasination of your caster, but I (would hope) that they wouldn't do that against a new or novice player.
I hate that they're all metal. I hate pinning. I hate worrying whether my model is going to fall and smash into a million tiny pieces. But I like the weight of the model. I'm working on my first one I bought @ War & Pieces this weekend and I've got my wapack coming (hopefully today or tomorrow).
dork_jedi
dork_jedi
Demon Prince

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:24 am

The Metal Models I don't really mind so much, especially in Hordes where you have less Jacks.

It's the combo stuff or the " meta -game" that I'm not terribly keen on. In 40k, Fantasy, and FOW, there are certainly some nasty combinations when making an army list. But from what I hear, combos in WM are par for the course and heavily influence the outcome of the game.

But I guess I should watch a full game before judging. I wouldn't mind selling 1 of my 7 Games workshop armies to by a horde army.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:04 am

Well, shit let me know if you guys are gonan get into Wm or Hordes, i can trade one of my armies for one of those things so we can get some games going. I used to hate big metal minis cause they never stick, but then i started using little pieces of Toilet paper and man, that thing acts like cement! put some glue on the joint, attach a little piece of toilet paper ( just enough to cover the area) then apply soem glue to the part that goes there, hodl for a few secs and BAM, stuck and not moving !
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:17 am

Luis should have his own forum called Painting and Modeling Tips from Cuba. Lol
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by dork_jedi Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:28 am

Hurricane wrote:Luis should have his own forum called Painting and Modeling Tips from Cuba. Lol

"Ghetto Modeling with Luis" or "Mojitos and Minis" ???
dork_jedi
dork_jedi
Demon Prince

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:46 am

Hey man, whatever works !! back in cuba you had to make do with with what was available !!
I dont have any of those fancy drill things you guys have...to much damn work if you ask me... The toilet paper thing works !!!
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkAngel_Cesar Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:37 pm

Guys just to let you know we have a group of 4 solid players in Miami and we play at the square.

Currently it is

Guy playing Khador
Dio playing Cygnar
Arturo playing Cygnar
Ed playing Cryx

Currently every monday they roll up to war and pieces to game but their is a local group getting together...im actually in the midst of building a Menoth army so ya the game is picking up speed.

--Cesar

DarkAngel_Cesar
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 512
Armies : Ravenwing and Dark Angels 3rd company
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:38 pm

Ill get into it if someone paints my models. Otherwise Im out...at least for now.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkAngel_Cesar Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:40 pm

ehh if you got the extra cash laying around im sure someone would paint then for ya, just ask might not be the best paint job but you get what ya pay for heh.

--Cesar

DarkAngel_Cesar
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 512
Armies : Ravenwing and Dark Angels 3rd company
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:44 pm

Well I dont want them to look like shit either. I got a little cash I could scrape up. It depends on what a person would charge. I know War machine doesnt require a lot of models.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.

Back to top Go down

Post by dork_jedi Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:00 pm

Bill, you could send them off to places like Dirty Water Painting (For a battle box it looks about $75 plus shipping) The War Store I think is offering painting services, Blue Table (but the last blue table army I saw i was less than impressed)
dork_jedi
dork_jedi
Demon Prince

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:39 pm

Ill look into it.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:52 pm

luis the young wrote:Well, shit let me know if you guys are gonan get into Wm or Hordes, i can trade one of my armies for one of those things so we can get some games going. I used to hate big metal minis cause they never stick, but then i started using little pieces of Toilet paper and man, that thing acts like cement! put some glue on the joint, attach a little piece of toilet paper ( just enough to cover the area) then apply soem glue to the part that goes there, hodl for a few secs and BAM, stuck and not moving !

You know, when I started reading about how you used toilet paper to "stick things together", I was almost going to stop reading before I found out waaaay too much about your other hobbies...or why you never have to worry about your toilet getting clogged.

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:00 pm

War & Piecces has gone completely Privateer Press after the GW product selloff.

3 things that seem to kick ass about this game -

1 - You can get the complete rules online in PDF format and so you don't need to buy a book

2 - You get info and stats on ALL of the armies in the Rule Book, so you don't need to buy and Army Book or you can switch armies without a new book.

3 - You need WAY less models to play a 'full' game of WM/Hordes.

As for game play that I have seen, it is more about resource management. You have a certain ammount of "action points" to allocate each turn that effect your War Jacks or Monster Troops in various ways.

I hear cries of "That's so broke" from a table every now and then, so the rules are by no means perfect or balanced.

All in all - probably a good game to try as you can get a complete set of models and all the rule data for about $100-150.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:08 pm

Is Warmachines and Hordes the same game or different ?? what do you guys play ??
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dork_jedi Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:33 pm

luis the young wrote:Is Warmachines and Hordes the same game or different ?? what do you guys play ??
Warmachine and Hordes are both games put out by Privateer Press which are compatible to play against each other.

Warmachine puts you in control of a nation's warcaster who can magically affect a giant (18 foot) robot with a magical "brain". Each turn your warcaster generates an amount of "focus" or as Shadow Master put it earlier "action points". Your robots "War Jacks" can perform normal such as walking and hitting or shooting (depending on the jack) but they can really kick ass (2 handed throws, extra attacks, extra shots, headbutts, slamming) when your warcaster allocates focus to the Jack. the crux of the resource management is that your warcaster has spells he can use on himself, other models in his army or against the enemy which cost this "focus". So you must make a decision each turn as to where each point of focus will be spent.

Hordes is very similar in that you take control of a faction's warlock who magically affects giant warbeasts. However warlocks do not generate their own focus like warcasters, what a warlock does is he causes his warbeasts to get pissed off and generate "fury". A warlock then can use this fury to cast spells on himself, his enemies, or friendly model. The problem with this is that your warlock can only take so much fury off of a warbeast each turn and if you cannot take it all off the warbeast runs the risk of going berzerk and "frenzying" attacking the nearest model. So Hordes is about managing that risk of "how much fury can I leave on my warbeast each turn, and hope that he won'd swallow one of my own guys?".

As I stated before both games can be played against eachother and from what I've seen and heard and read each has equal advantages over the other so that neither has an advantage to dominate. For instance, a Warbeast can take less damage than a Jack. however a Jack will become disabled if three of their "systems" are destroyed (left arm, right arm, core, movement) where a warbeast can still be effective up until the last point of damage it receives. In Warmachine you have more spells for your warcaster to use, in Hordes your warlock has less spells but each warbeast also provides a spell to your warlock.

How's that?
dork_jedi
dork_jedi
Demon Prince

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dork_jedi Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:59 pm

Another thing i like about Hordes/WM is that I don't feel compelled to convert the living crap out of the models. The ones they make look good. And if there's a rule for a particular piece, they make a model for it.

However, some people may see this as a downside in that it is not as popular to make an army that is specifically your own as you would be able to with GW. Think along the lines of *ALWAYS* playing with special characters like Typhus, Gaunt, or Snikrot.
dork_jedi
dork_jedi
Demon Prince

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next