The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gondor v Fallen Kingdoms

5 posters

Go down

Gondor v Fallen Kingdoms Empty Gondor v Fallen Kingdoms

Post by smirkweasel Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:00 pm

Finally got off work early on Tuesday, October 13. Decided to drive over to Sunshine to play WoTR and hang out with all the WoTR players that fill the store during the week. Forgot it's not summer anymore. Mike showed up an hour later with a Gondor army and a pirate game. We decided on WoTR 1000 points per side.

The Gondor forces totaled 1015 points. The army was led by Aragorn and his Grey Company with a Banner. Osgilaith Veterans (three companies), Gondor Rangers (three companies) and knights (three companies) filled the army. All have Captains and Banners. So I am facing four formations. I figure they must be tough.

The Fallen Kingdoms were led by Khamul the Easterling. The Wraith fielded four companies of Easterling Cohorts, two companies of Pike, four companies of Archers, three companies of Morgul Knights, two companies of Haradrim with bows, a chariot, a War Mumak. A total of seven companies totaling 1005 points. I figured something was up Suspect .

Mike won the Priority Roll but made me go first (to see where the Mumak went). He won the roll for all turns but one, I think. In the first round the Gondor Knights fell to shooting from the Mumaks archers and the Haradrim and a charge from the chariot. Mike forgot to declare Epic Shoot during the Shooting Phase so the Grey Company and Veterans did not contribute on the first turn.

On the second turn Veterans did charge (I think, or shoot) the Easterling Archers with Khamul, but were pushed back thanks to Khamul's "rebound the hits" ability and a flank charge by the War Mumak. The Veterans charged my Morgul Knights and got flank charged by the chariot as well as run over by the War Mumak, twice Very Happy . My roll for the Mumak's hits was fairly bad to average this game.

The Gondor Rangers were sent packing by shooting from the Haradrim and a charge from the chariot (which took a wound from shooting in return).

The Grey Company and Aragorn (the demigod) demolished half my army (trying to get Aragorn into a duel with Khamul who moved from one infantry unit to another). First, the Easterling Cohort fell thanks to Aragron and the Banner's special abilities and Heroic Fight. Second, it was the Archer's turn (The Mumak could have charged the Grey Companie's rear at this point, but I rolled a one Crying or Very sad ). Finally, two companies of Morgul Knights fell. The Grey Company had taken some casualties by then. The final round ended with the Grey Company falling to the combined shooting of the Haradrim, the Mumak crew and the chariot.

In the last turn, I am not sure if my Haradrim should have shot. I know they made a full move at one point during the game. Can't remember if it was the last turn played or the turn before. Memory not what it once was Sad .

This was an exciting game for me. I didn't know what surprises were waiting for meas I usually end up playing another evil army. Aragorn and the Grey Company were scary. However, numbers were really telling.

smirkweasel
Aspiring Champion

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Gondor v Fallen Kingdoms Empty Re: Gondor v Fallen Kingdoms

Post by jerryb Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:53 am

First, thanks smirkweasel for the report.
I really thought you would have steam rolled over the Gondor forces. The battle sounds amazing and would have been iteresting to watch in person.

This is one of the best aspects of WotR, you really do not know for certain the outcome of any one game.

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1451
Armies : AT-43, Pyrates, Battle Tech
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:57 am

It was a good game Dave. The Mumak had me constantly on edge. But the thing that was really killing me was that charriot! Man that thing is nasty... I underestimated it which was a big mistake. I should have shot the hell out of it. Things would have gone a bit different for me maybe Smile

After playing it, I realized the potential of the Mumak. Even though Dave didn't get great rolls out of it(he rolled 3 6s the one time he didnt set it for an important charge!) Its enormous base and spead plus the fact that it can pivot in any direction make it especially deadly since its going to flank you all the time once your guys get in close range.

Looking forward to the next one!
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 762
Armies : WoTR: Gondor & Harad. AT-43:UNA & Red Blok. Battletech: Clan Jade Falcon & FedSuns.
Registration date : 2009-02-19

http://www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkweasel Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:00 pm

Yes the chariot was a surprise to me. This is the first time I got it to charge anything. I expect it to get shot to pieces as it is not tough against mass shooting. However, the War Mumak draws a lot of attention so the chariot gets a pass.

smirkweasel
Aspiring Champion

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:54 am

So send in the Mumak first with the chariot behind and then swing the chariot in next. That would be a killer combo.
I wonder if the Mumak blocks line of sight?

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Frantic Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:35 pm

Thats pretty much what happened Smile
Frantic
Frantic
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 762
Armies : WoTR: Gondor & Harad. AT-43:UNA & Red Blok. Battletech: Clan Jade Falcon & FedSuns.
Registration date : 2009-02-19

http://www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Back to top Go down

Post by JosephD Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:10 am

I love the report on the battle, because it painted a good picture of the events. I would have liked to have seen this one in person as well. There is something good about 1000pt games, I can't put a finger on it but they seem to be a lot of fun. It might be because smaller games don't have that sense of scale and bigger games can feel like a monster pulling on the reins.

-Joseph

Last edited by JosephD on Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add to the post)
JosephD
JosephD
Neophyte

Male
Number of posts : 25
Armies : Mordor
Registration date : 2009-08-10

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:21 pm

1000 pt games are awesome! Very Happy

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:45 am

For WotR I believe 1000 points is the sweet spot.
Fast pace, lots of army choice and yet not to small.

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content