The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHFB 8th Edition Army Book FAQs

+10
Ovich
smirkweasel
Dakai
The Eldar Guy
Garry
Diosamblet
Kyle
luis the young
ShadowMaster
jspyd3rx
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

WHFB 8th Edition Army Book FAQs - Page 2 Empty Re: WHFB 8th Edition Army Book FAQs

Post by luis the young Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:49 pm

The steam tank is gonna be even more stupid hard to kill now than before. 2 armies have Cannons, and a Bolt Thrower is gonna need 6s to wound it, if it hits since there is no more +1 for large target bonus.
Also Stone Throwers suck the fat one now, only the guy directly under the hole is max strength, evrything else is strgth 3, and i think they got rid of the No Armor Saves bit.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

WHFB 8th Edition Army Book FAQs - Page 2 Empty Re: WHFB 8th Edition Army Book FAQs

Post by Ovich Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:53 pm

Well,
At least they're still 300 points each !

Hmm..... how much are steam tanks again in dollars again ?

I only have one..

I don't think the wood elves will be that bad Chris....
Did you read the rules on Volley Fire ? a Unit of 30 glade guard pump out 25 shots per turn. Anything gets within 15 inches and thats 25 strength 4 shots hitting on 3's. Ouch. Then when they get hit... they've got 2 ranks.

Treekin are going to be just as nasty as all the monstrous infantry. Uh... 18 strength 5 attacks... from 6 of them.. including a rank, plus stomp at strength 5 afterwards.. yes please.

I don't know... I worry that these new rules are going to amp up the whole game.... incite more powergaming.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:54 pm

Base Stone Throwers went from S4(Cool, no save to S3(9) with save
More accurate and more hits with partials, but less damage per hit.

Dave's Trebs also failed. One blew up on the first shot and the other scattered off once or twice, then misfired for a two turn fail. No damage.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:39 pm

I wonder if the Screaming Skull Catapult falls under the new Stone Thrower rules of strrgth 3 with armor saves.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:39 pm

it does Sad
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:41 pm

The Eldar Guy wrote:what has heroic blow?

Something Stephan does when he's dressed in drag looking for rich old men on Miami Beach.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:30 am

ShadowMaster wrote:it does Sad

Oh wow...this and the nerf for the Destroyer of Eternities ( cant use its ability with smite ) just brought down the Tomb Kings a lot in the power curve. Our Catapults are our one way of dealing with big monsters and large blocks.
One thing to note also is that we DONT get to add the level of our Liche and High Lice Priests to our incantations, only if we have the staff that adds the +1.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:26 am

SSC are still S9, no save, multi wound under the center hole.... so they will do the job.

Re: Incantations
I see the note that the roll is not modified, however, I did not apply that to the priest levels. I think you still add your +1 or +3 to cast - else why would they have levels? I figure that note refers to some of the new magic items in the BRB. Only the special TK staff can be used to increase incantation power, or something like that.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:23 pm

The level is there for dispelling purposes.

Also, we still need to roll number of power dice cause we use those to set off our Bound Items.
And that item we get that dispells all remain in play items became gold.
AND..swarms are the shit now, warmachines are no longer immune to poison !!! 10 poison attacks from 2 bases.!
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:35 pm

Stop living out your fantasies through me Bill...

BTW...

I don't see any reason why undead would not go hoard with all their infantry blocks. Since getting the stubborn rule for more ranks does't matter, you might as well get the extra attacks.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:19 pm

TK characters on chariots can't join chariot units now, by raw. Neutral
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1571
Armies : Eldar(40k & BFG), Dark Eldar (WIP), & Dark Elves
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:25 pm

The Eldar Guy wrote:TK characters on chariots can't join chariot units now, by raw. Neutral

The FAQ says they can Smile
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:30 pm

Ovich wrote:Stop living out your fantasies through me Bill...

BTW...

I don't see any reason why undead would not go hoard with all their infantry blocks. Since getting the stubborn rule for more ranks does't matter, you might as well get the extra attacks.

Tomb King Skeletons are way overpriced, a unit of 30 bowmen, no armor and a standard and muscician is 315 points ! is hard to go Horde with them.

I was thinking Khalida list, 2 blocks of 30 skeleton bowmen, 25 tombguard, priest on casket.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:34 pm

The original text in the codex allowed characters on chariots to join chariot units. Now, however, the amendment states:

“Units of Skeleton Chariots can be joined by characters.”
Ignore the final bullet point.

BRB states characters on chariots cannot join units. Characters not on chariots can.

"If there were NO amendment, then it would work--characters in chariots could join chariot units. The original bullet point in the book explicitly said so (and also had rules about what to do if the chariot, but not character, is destroyed--namely he is booted from the unit). Since they changed it to "characters can join chariot units" it actually comes of as an intentional rule change--characters on foot could be there (as stupid as that would be) but in the BRB we know characters in chariots cannot.

The RAI seems clear. . . but RAI was RAW in the TK book already! The errata/amendment changed it from making sense to what we have now. . ."

^another persons statement that matches mine. I don't have to type as much! Neutral
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:42 pm

That whole argument gave me a headache, why are you complicating my life ? Im old and cant take all this RAI vs RAW things very well anymore Sad

Oh well, Chariots suck now anyways, just good for flanking now.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:29 pm

I think the game as it is now- is far less competitive and far more enjoyable.

In the beginning it took me quite a bit to wrap my mind around random charge.. no march blocking... no redirecting- etc. But now, not so much.

Really, I'm fine with the RAI. I wouldn't mind which way my opponent played that.
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:42 pm

I had a blast playing with it. Yes a lot of the tactical options are gone, but the game can still be enjoyed.
I sure as hell wont stop playing it.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:55 pm

The Eldar Guy wrote:I think the game as it is now- is far less competitive and far more enjoyable.

This sounds great
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:38 pm

As I said before. I'm excited.

Yes it's going to take a while to re-learn the nuances, but overall I think there will be a lot of CATASTROPHIC results to different things you are trying to do during a game.. which is always fun.

The beauty about the Magic phase is that you can reap some amazing rewards with it, but then suffer the consequenses as well (unless you're a Slaan Evil or Very Mad ) Conversely , you can go with little or no magic and still be competitive because your amount of dispel dice is not going to be that much different.

One question.. since there's no specific mention that you can take certain magic items more than once. I guess we have to assume that there are no more scroll caddies, since each army can only have 1 dispel scroll . right ?
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:42 pm

Correct, one dispel scroll. Also, its still only one arcane item- so your scroll counts as an arcane item.
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:08 pm

I wonder if that'll be errata'd in an FAQ of the main rules.

Once thing that I think nerf the Slaan a little bit thankfully, is that the extra power dice they get with that special option counts towards the 12 max total powerdice you can have per magic phase.

So if a Slann casts 6 spells with 1 dice each, adding the extra powerdice to each roll, he's done for the phase.. and that's assuming there are no Skinks casting spells either.

Magic is gonna be flat out tricky now. Because if you use level 1's and 2's, you are going to be inclined to use more powerdice, since you only get a +1 or +2 on the roll... more powerdice = more chance for a miscast. On the other hand, if you shell out the points for level 3 and 4 casters, if you roll crappy on the Winds of Magic roll, you've wasted points on an expensive character.

Interesting conundrum.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:26 pm

Its a maximum of 12 dice at any time during the phase. It can be replenished. Slaan's extra die, PoDarkness, Sacrificial dagger, etc. Its also clarified in the new rulebook FAQ:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1330084a_FAQ_WarhammerRulebook_2010_v1.pdf
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:36 pm

All my games have been fun so far - and twice I was CRUSHED!

Dan's Bretts took my DoC to town on Wednesday
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jspyd3rx Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:25 pm

I heard too. I just got there after the fight.
jspyd3rx
jspyd3rx
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1190
Registration date : 2009-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:01 am

This is what I just love about GW Errat's and FAQs

Q: Do dice that have been ‘removed’ from the pool to cast a spell
still count against the power limit? (p30)
A: Yes. They count against the power limit until the moment
they are rolled, at which point they are ‘used up’ and no
longer count against the power limit.

How bout just answering " no, once they've been used they no longer count against the power limit" , which is what the question was asking. That's like someone asking the question, "are bloodthirsters red in color" and someone answering "no, unless they happen to be red in color" then Yes.

Q: Can I use more than 12 power or dispel dice in a phase even
though the pool is limited to 12? (p30)
A: Yes. While the pool can never contain more than 12 power
or dispel dice at any one time, some abilities can generate
more dice part way through a Magic phase.

Ok, this is pretty clear.. I think.

Q. Does the ‘free’ power dice gained from Focused Rumination count
against the power limit? (p43)
A. Yes.

OK, so let me get this straight. The only time Focused Rumination would matter, is if the Slann player rolled a 12 on his winds of magic roll, and then immediately attempted to cast a spell using 1 extra power dice. Other than that, it wouldn't matter..

So the genius of GW rulings amazes me once agian.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next