The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MMORPG- Need suggestions (NOT WoW)

+8
Quincilla767
acidchalk (erick)
Wild
NurgleNick
chef xenos
Kyle
ShadowMaster
zephel
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

MMORPG- Need suggestions (NOT WoW) Empty MMORPG- Need suggestions (NOT WoW)

Post by zephel Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:38 pm

So in the meantime whiel i wait for the 40k mmo to come out i'm looking for a mmorpg that has good and intersting pvp and i wouldn't mind if it had a roleplay community but please for the love of all that is holy, do not let it be grindy. ( i'm talking to you Aion)
zephel
zephel
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 454
Armies : Eldar, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2010-09-24

Back to top Go down

MMORPG- Need suggestions (NOT WoW) Empty Re: MMORPG- Need suggestions (NOT WoW)

Post by ShadowMaster Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:01 pm

Let me be clear, I think WoW is your best bet. The PvP is great. It's the ONLY game I've ever played where you can truely level with mostly PvP play if you choose to do so. PvE is more of a choice.

Since you said, No WoW..... I'd say give Age of Conan a try.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:13 pm

Just don't bother with any MMO's, they all have issues, and even the beloved WoW is and always will be a grind, and frankly the PVP in WOW is hot garbage. Zero skill, it's all about playing the flavor of the month class build and having the best gear. The arena system was the worst thing to happen to the game, just made jerky community even worse.

If you want a MMO, save yourself some money and play one of the free options. Lord of the Rings online is free to play and is pretty good... and free! Game is more PvE oriented though which is a good thing at the same time since player classes aren't constantly raped with patches to satisfy the PVP players and in general, it feels more balanced class wise. The skirmish system is great for replayability and it has a unique pvp system.

Dungeon and Dragons Online is also free and a very different feel for MMO's, but it does not have much at all in the form of PVP. It is definitely not for everyone.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by zephel Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:46 pm

Makes me wish warhammer online had a big player base. Guess I will be playing runescape with a friend lol. And about age of conan, I have heard some negative things about it. By the way, anybody know about what mmos are coming out this year?
zephel
zephel
Dark Apostle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:37 pm

Star Wars Old Republic
DC Universe
Guild Wars 2 (sort of MMO)
RIFT

Those are some of the bigger ones. Star Wars looks like it could be very good, with Bioware behind it and having full storylines for each of the 8 classes, it's going to have super strong PvE.

Then theres games that are going free to play, like Champions Online, and Star Trek online is possibly going free to play as well.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits

Back to top Go down

Post by zephel Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:42 pm

Well rift, gw2,, old republic are the most interesting ones to me.
zephel
zephel
Dark Apostle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chef xenos Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:52 pm

i love coh/cov and im planning on getting Lego universe
chef xenos
chef xenos
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 814
Armies : {40k and apoc units} tyranids,gene-cult,exocrine,dominatrix,fortress of faith {bfg}tyranids {battletech} void-stalkers(merc/pirates)
Registration date : 2009-01-08

http://john80687.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by NurgleNick Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:34 am

City of Heroes/Villains is great fun, if a little repetitive. Everquest 2 is a gem (sort of a "thinking man's WoW".. much, much steeper learning curve), and has recently added in raid-equivalent gear sets you can get by winning in instanced, team-based PvP. Combine this with heavily group-oriented leveling (dozens of instanced dungeons, with different strategies for multiple bosses in each), and 24 classes to choose from, and I doubt you'll get bored. Age of Conan is also cool.
NurgleNick
NurgleNick
Dark Apostle

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2008-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Wild Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:52 am

There's also EVE if you're into that sort of abuse. Good PvE and PvP, with being able to decide and customize yourself via training and purchases, so you can improve yourself without having to do any real combat. The main thing is deciding which way you want to go. Also for paying for it, you can even once you start earning the money purchase an item called PLEX and apply it.

There are pilots currently in the game who are able to earn so much they're set for life, never having to pay another dime for EVE.

Wild
Cultist

Number of posts : 60
Armies : Tau, Black Templars
Registration date : 2009-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:23 am

Not sure how long ago you played Kyle......

WoW has great PvP. It has nothing to do with the FoTM class. I've beat every other class and I've been beaten by every other class. It's situational. That's called BALANCE.

PvP gear comes from PvP play - so you don't need to get stuck on 25 player, 5 hour raids to get a key piece of loot. Battlegrounds > Arena Team play.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:18 am

I played WoW for over three years with the wife, quitting earlier this Fall. PvP is the main thing I played at end game, and it was always a mess of unbalance. Battleground gear is pathetic compared to Arena gear, and a well kitted out group in high tier Arena gear will rape a BG gear equipped group. Things improved I do think when they allowed to switch between builds so they didn't have as big a mess of attempting balance with PvE and PvP builds.

Raids were the best part of WoW, but they are a huge time investment that I just couldn't bother with anymore.

Wild wrote:There's also EVE if you're into that sort of abuse. Good PvE and PvP, with being able to decide and customize yourself via training and purchases, so you can improve yourself without having to do any real combat. The main thing is deciding which way you want to go. Also for paying for it, you can even once you start earning the money purchase an item called PLEX and apply it.

There are pilots currently in the game who are able to earn so much they're set for life, never having to pay another dime for EVE.

EVE is an amazing game, it can be frustrating but it has an amazing amount of depth. I just don't see it appealing to everyone, especially the casual gamer.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by zephel Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:24 am

Well i would be labed under as a casual mmorpg player
zephel
zephel
Dark Apostle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:59 am

WoW is usually considered one of the better casual MMO's with it's offerings, but if you didn't care for it for whatever reason, I would still recommend LOTR Online since it's free which is good for a casual person. Has decent PvE and the gameplay is essentially the same as WoW's.... and well it's free which is a huge bonus instead of having to buy 4 different game/expansions and pay a monthly fee.

City of Heroes is pretty decent casual game as well, making characters is tons of fun in that, but the game can get very repetitive as most Cryptic MMO's tend to be. Champions Online is going to be free soon and it is very similar to CoH.... free is hard to beat price wise Wink
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:13 pm

Another free MMO that is new, believe it's still in testing but it's open to play is Vindictus: http://vindictus.nexon.net/

Game is made using the source engine used by Half Life, Left 4 Dead games. Combat is also real time, it's not button press and watch type of game like WoW and most MMO's. Has real brawling game like mechanics and physics also instead of canned animations. It is actually kind of neat and very different game to try.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:56 pm

Free to Play have a few of problems IMO
They lack a big player base - thats why they go free
Thay have a cost in some form or another (item mall, zone access, etc)
They are old titles, and your hopelessly behind all the vets

They are good to goof with. DDO is worth a look if you've never played it simply for the awsome trap mechanics. Something no other game has. I can see playing this a month or so.

LOTR was stil more group dependent the last time I tried it. It's also well done. The seemless integration into the instanced dungeons are great.

No real PvP in either of these game though.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:27 pm

Most games don't need massive populations to be enjoyable. Warhammer Online for example required it, and since it's so barren now, it is almost unplayable. Lot of MMO's play fine as is though, and those that are free tend to have pretty good populations as they tend to have less servers or have drawn large crowds due to the free adverts. LOTRO is very busy now since it went free, they had to open up more servers for it when it went f2p.

The expense of the free games are generally very minor, and best of all is not having to buy a thing and you pay only for what you want. Some do it better than others.

WoW has a stranglehold on the market right now and companies are more and more going to be forced to try different things. You already got a bunch that are putting in stores to buy stuff for the game, along with having a subscription like Star Trek Online, and the coming Star Wars game is rumored to going to have a transaction system at launch probably too. Warhammer Online not to long ago also added in item sales outside the game to try and generate extra revenue. The F2P model has worked well in Asian territories and really it's done well so far here in the US when it has been implemented.

Cost though is completely optional and you are not paying nearly $200 a year plus potential expansion pack costs to keep playing an up to date game as you do with games like WoW, when at times you are probably not getting your moneys worth. I know for the years I played, there were months at times that I didn't play enough to justify having spent $30 for the wife and my subs.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by zephel Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:41 pm

hmm. well thats why i'm intersted in GW2 to come out, since GW was well known for being a good game (from what I heard) that didnt need subscription.
zephel
zephel
Dark Apostle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:50 pm

Yes GW2 sounds like it can be very good.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by zephel Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:58 pm

In the meantime I guess i'll just be toying aorund with runescape with some friend for the hell of it till dawn of war II : Redemption comes out (i know not a mmo) and till Starwars online or GW2 comes out.
zephel
zephel
Dark Apostle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:00 pm

I tried GW and was unimpressed. You really need the right guild.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by acidchalk (erick) Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:38 am

Yeah i've been trying to decide on a new mmo while waiting for 40k to come out. I just need to chime in on the wow hate for a moment and say wow is just so bad! LOL. You spend all day grinding quests, then you raid all day and after you beat every raid you either go into the arena where every single class has about 3+ stun/kick/bash abilities that makes my priest useless lol. After that you sit on your thumb all day collecting cheese and wine for a stupid dwarf or fishing up golden fish sticks for raid..... NOT FUN! I was considering a couple, like going back to neocron i miss that game =(. I actually still play everquest from time to time too... sad i know!

acidchalk (erick)
Traitor Marine

Male
Number of posts : 131
Armies : Necron, Eldar, Tau, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:08 am

WoW Raid gear is for PvE - it does you no good in PvP. You'd be challenged to survive in a Battle Ground. In the Arena, where the serious PvP players go - yeah, you'll get smoked in that stuff.

Raid give you PvE geare, which improve you for more raids. YAWN!
BGs give you PvP gear which improve you for PvP.

WoW PvP gear comes from PvP play, which can all take place in BattleGrounds, Wintergrasp, or the new Tol Barad. You don't NEED to go to the Arenas. YOU DON'T NEED TO RAID!

There are much less 'leet players in the BGs and they are quite fun IMO. Some are pure PvP, some PvP/PvE mix, some have siege (I love siege). Nothing like running people down with a battle ram!

If 40k launches on time (rare in the MMO world), it will be some time in 2013. When you look at the success of the last GW MMO and most sci-fi based MMOs, that may be a long wait for a big disappointment.

Star Wars (by Sony) has already failed once as an MMO
The recent Star Trek is also a fail
The much hyped Tabula Rasa was a HUGE fail (it ran @3 months)
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:36 am

WoW is nice in that it offers play for most types of gamer types. My wife who is not really a gamer even was able to play it herself fine and she has a hard time with most games, especially RPGs.

WoW just grew boring for me and it was largely just the fact that it was the game all my friends were playing, that kept me putting up with it. WoW makes insane money and to charge $40 for an expansion is just greedy, especially since majority of the content introdued in the expansions is given away for free in the patches to everyone already and you are just paying to unlock some features.

I don't have any feeling on the 40k MMO since I really don't see how it will work out right, and we know almost nothing about the game.

Calling every game a fail because it doesn't become as big as WoW is just silly though, lot of MMO's operate and make profit with a tiny fraction of said player base. Very few even reach 1 million players, but they still operate just fine. Even the fail that was Warhammer, still makes profit according to EA's financials, but as said before its one of those games that needs tons of players to operate. If you need millions of people in your MMO to enjoy it, then you will never ever play anything but WoW.

Last edited by Kyle on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by acidchalk (erick) Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:41 am

Tell me about it, wrath of the lichking? What lichking?!?!?! I beat everything the expansion had and even got the silly title for beating 3 drakes on heroic and that was it. They didn't patch him in until mooooooooooooonths later. Same with hyjal and illidan on burning crusade. PvP is supposed to be paper rock scissors but since they made wow a game for people who are not normally supposed to be playing mmos, they ended up trying to please everyone to the point where everyone is just flinging rocks lol. I had good times on it, and if you have a bunch of friends on it, it can be fun as hell, but i'm an elitist jerk on mmos and i like having a clear line drawn between people who kill gods and people who spend all day throwing rocks at each other.

acidchalk (erick)
Traitor Marine

Male
Number of posts : 131
Armies : Necron, Eldar, Tau, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:45 am

The paper rock scissors gameplays of WoW PVP was one of the worst aspects to me. What is the fun of being owned by another player simply because of the class build he has automatically trumps your build? I would rather have an environment where everyone can put up a fight against one another.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next