The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

40K Tournament on September 12th

+10
rokassan
Ovich
NurgleNick
Michaelharmon
The Eldar Guy
ShadowMaster
Vycem
grix
feen039
WC_Brian
14 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

40K Tournament on September 12th Empty 40K Tournament on September 12th

Post by WC_Brian Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:29 pm

Chris and I are running the next tournament which due to scheduling issues will be in just two weeks. Maybe that will set a trend of tournaments being second saturday of the month. This last tournament went off very well and we even got out at 7PM.

The tournament is 1850. Entry fee is $10. The tournament will start at 11:30 AM sharp. If you come after it is starting you can jump in if their is another player also waiting. There will be no byes, they ruin the tournament for someone who showed up on time.

You really only need one list but it must be either printed or easily read if hand written. There will be no painting or sportsmanship scores. Chris and I will pick our favorite 3 scenarios from this years Ard Boyz. Don't worry, the all night fight mission will not be one of them.

Battle Scoring will be the Massacre 20-3, Major Win 17-3, Minor Win 13-7, Tie 10-10 system. There will be 2 Bonus points in each mission, kill all their HQs and your opponent has no units in your deployment zone. They will be worth 1 point each.

Sign up by posting in this thread, please type your first name. I'm not familiar with who is who online so you have to let me know. Please do not sign up if you aren't sure you are coming.

1 )Brian
2 )Chris
3 )George
4 )Frank
5 )Vycem
6 )
7 )
8 )
9 )
10 )
11 )
12 )

Last edited by WC_Brian on Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:48 am; edited 2 times in total

WC_Brian
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-10-19

Back to top Go down

40K Tournament on September 12th Empty Re: 40K Tournament on September 12th

Post by feen039 Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:04 pm

Add me up (George)
feen039
feen039
Aspiring Champion

Male
Number of posts : 218
Armies : Eldar, High Elves, Salamanders
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by grix Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:40 pm

Frank-IG ill be there

grix
Cultist

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:55 am

I thought I was running it? Joel had asked me to when the tournament wound up and he asked me to come to the forums to let everyone. Damn, and here I was starting to work on scenarios.

Guess I'll try doing next one.

I'll play.

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by WC_Brian Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:48 am

I don't understand what is up with Sunshine tournaments needing a whole person to run an event without playing in it. It is really super easy to run one of these things. Chris and I will run this, but if you have any good missions please send them to both of us.

WC_Brian
Dark Apostle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by WC_Brian Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:48 am

Who are you Vycem?

WC_Brian
Dark Apostle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:14 am

WC_Brian wrote:I don't understand what is up with Sunshine tournaments needing a whole person to run an event without playing in it. It is really super easy to run one of these things. Chris and I will run this, but if you have any good missions please send them to both of us.

You can't be the judge and a player - small conflict of interest.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:52 am

I'm Endre. Yeah, I know you say it's super easy, but I kind of agree with Shadow Master, it feels weird playing against the TO.

It's ok, I'll do the next tournament. It'll give me time to work on good missions.

Vycem
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:45 am

Thanks for posting this brian. Joel did say he could run it, do you mind if Endre runs this one? I'd rather not be bothered.

If you don't endre, that's cool
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1571
Armies : Eldar(40k & BFG), Dark Eldar (WIP), & Dark Elves
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:04 pm

Sure, I don't mind at all. I always did want to try my hand at coming up with scenarios and the like. But it depends on Brian.

Vycem
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by WC_Brian Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:30 pm

Sure that's fine by me.

In regards to the TO playing, he should at least be a rounder for the tournament. And you can judge and play, Marc and I have been doing it without complaint for years. I've seen people do it countless times without complaint. I'm sure there are people who can't be trusted to do so though. And there isn't just one judge, everyone should help each other with the rules. In 5th edition there don't seem to be many rules conflicts, they finally produced a rulebook that is easy to navigate quickly.

WC_Brian
Dark Apostle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaelharmon Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:13 pm

Someone post some pics this time. I miss getting to play. I'll be in Panama most of this month starting on the 10th.
Michaelharmon
Michaelharmon
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 613
Armies : Black Templar, Grey Knight Terminator Squad, Imperial Gaurd Leman Russ support tanks and Hellhammer, THunderbolt Imperial Navy Flier.
Registration date : 2008-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:55 pm

That's not a bad idea, I'll take my camera and take pics.

While I could technically play and TO, I'd feel terrible winning anything. That said, I might take an army just in case someone ends up without a partner and wants to play in lieu of an auto-draw.

Vycem
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:59 pm

Playing as the house army if your a man short is fine, but you can't actually compete as the TO.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:32 pm

ShadowMaster wrote:Playing as the house army if your a man short is fine, but you can't actually compete as the TO.

I agree. I don't plan to be part of the rankings at all. If one man is short, they can get an auto draw or play me for the chance at a victory point (or loss). But hopefully we'll be evened out!

Vycem
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by WC_Brian Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:48 am

ShadowMaster wrote:Playing as the house army if your a man short is fine, but you can't actually compete as the TO.

This is the only store I have ever seen where any players have felt that way.

And you are actually wrong because I've done it at least twice now. Just like the countless tournaments I and others have run while playing in the tournament. If someone is willing to take care of the event for the owner while he attends to customers, why should he be penalized by not being allowed to play? And if the judge gets some of the prize pool for running the event I would rather not play. I know Max used to get paid to run the tournaments and if I had been playing at Sunshine then I would have much preferred he played in the events then took some of the loot for standing around doing just about nothing. If the TO isn't judging paint scores then I don't know what they have to do besides twiddle their thumbs.

WC_Brian
Dark Apostle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by NurgleNick Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:02 pm

This is Nick. Sign me up.

And yeah, I agree with Brian.
NurgleNick
NurgleNick
Dark Apostle

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2008-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:01 pm

Well, Brian

I could imagine there could be a conflict of interest if the scenarios being used are created and are only known by the TO. Obviously that would give him an unfair advantage.

For instance, Dan ran the last fantasy tourney with created scenarios. Even if he doesn't tailor a list to fit the scenarios, just having prior knowledge of what the scenario is gives him an advantage over others. Unconsciously, he may even create a harder list then he may mean to if he knows he's going to be playing.

Would you feel entirely comfortable coming to a tournament where the organizer knows the scenarios and you don't, yet he is a player like everyone else and scored the same way?

That seems kind of odd to me.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:49 pm

I'm one to believe non-standard scenario should be announced and laid out prior to a tournament.
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:28 pm

Which is what I plan to do because I *do* want to try non-standard scenarios. Also putting up a poll...

As for not playing, I plan to do plenty to keep me interested, such as taking pictures, notes for battle reports/after action reports etc.

Vycem
Primarch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by NurgleNick Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:02 pm

Far as I knew, the missions for this tournament were 'Ard Boyz scenarios, so they're available for everyone to browse on GW's website. I'm sure the ones being used will be announced in advance. And sure, I'd be fine with the TO knowing about it, but I always love to play with a disadvantage, perceived or otherwise.
NurgleNick
NurgleNick
Dark Apostle

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2008-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:39 pm

I think non-standard scenarios should be secret as long as they don't completely favor one style of play. But keeping it secret adds a little excitement and forces you to adapt tactically as you discover what the objectives are. You have to think on the move and be flexible enough to change your strategy if need be.

If you know what the scenarios are, you know exactly which army to take and you have time to think about how you're going to win each scenario. The only element of surprise at that point is who you are going to have play.

I must say I'm a big fan of hidden scenarios
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:56 pm

The problem with taking non-standard scenario and having them secret is the fact that they will -not- be balanced no matter how hard one tries. One can not reliably take into account every little aspect of every army and incorporate it well enough into some custom mission.

If a mission favors a certain army or army configuration no matter of simply 'changing your strategy' is going to change your army and how it plays. You will be either have the advantage or be at a disadvantage. If you can overcome that disadvantage you were still playing at a disadvantage from the onset.

With open missions everyone would know what the scenario are and be able to at least critique them prior to game day.

I'd like to avoid finding that I'm defending against a dwarves that have to get into my deployment zone. I've had enough of those free wins tossed at me.
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:14 am

I admit that any scenarios that involve getting into your enemies deployment zone is not a well balanced scenario, because mobile armies like yours and mine will always have the advantage against static armies like the dwarves and empire. That being said, there can be lots of scenarios created where the emphasis on movement does not have to be that pronounced.

One way to make sure that the scenarios are balanced is to always include VP points as the final criteria. I hate scenarios that have no VP points, because then it really gets unbalanced. But with VP points included, you always have the option of just slaughtering the enemy force, if the objectives cannot be easily met by our army style.

I just think knowing the scenarios before hand is boring.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:59 am

In my opinion if your running the tourny stay out of it. That's like an NFL ref playing linebacker on a team. As the organizer you need to be big brother,judge,jury and executioner. People will need questions answered and decisions made. They don't need you playing and not regulating. Anyhow your gonna get interupted 50 times while your playing and that's not fair to the other guy playing you. You also need to keep track of time. As the organizer I say either run it or play in it. Not both.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next