The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fantasy attempt 1

+5
Dice_Runt
KingdomCome
jspyd3rx
ShadowMaster
Carlos
9 posters

Go down

Fantasy attempt 1 Empty Fantasy attempt 1

Post by Carlos Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:44 am

I'm utterly bored of Warhammer 40k and I want to try a new game system. I've been looking at WFB over the past couple of months and analyzing the armies and looking at some of the rules from the new edition. I'm curious to know exactly what are the changes from 7th edition to 8th edition and if anyone can give me brief synopsis on the armies. I'm favoring Warriors of Chaos, Daemons of Chaos, Dark elves, Lizardmen,Tomb Kings, Orcs/Goblins and beastmen. I like the concept of vast armies mixed in with gigantic monsters chopping away at regiments of troops. I like calvary but I'm not really fond of them and warmachines are cool if they explode shit the hell up.

As for a "competitive" army. I obviously would like an army to win with, but the whole tier concept kinda puts me off. If anyone can help out with everything so I can gain a better understanding of the game it'd be great.

Thanks
Carlos
Carlos
Traitor Guardsman

Male
Number of posts : 113
Armies : Blood Angels and Wood Elves
Registration date : 2010-06-03

Back to top Go down

Fantasy attempt 1 Empty Re: Fantasy attempt 1

Post by ShadowMaster Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:08 pm

Since you never played 7th, what changed in inconsequential. Just focus on the rules as they exist today.

You list almost half the armies, pick what you like best.

40k has tiers - it's part of the evil ways of GW. Fantasy is pretty balanced right now. Any army can comete with a good general and a tight build.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlos Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Honestly I like Warriors, Lizardmen and tombkings the most, I mainly just like specific models from the other lots that I'll just buy and paint on my own time.
and yeah 40k does have tiers, I hate it reminds me of the MTG metagame. Tournament decks have to be this build if you wanted to be competitive or have specific cards etc. etc. At any rate, Warriors of Chaos, Lizardmen and Tomb Kings are top 3.

Can you give me a little briefing on these armies
Carlos
Carlos
Traitor Guardsman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jspyd3rx Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:04 pm

There is a group of us starting infinity. Cheaper and very balanced. Most of us are just waiting on our models. Jump in if ya want, you won't be alone.
https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com/t4055-infinity-hype
jspyd3rx
jspyd3rx
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1190
Registration date : 2009-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:13 pm

Infinity is definitely cheaper, but if you want to try out WHFB first go for it. 40k doesn't have tiers....
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1233
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods
Registration date : 2009-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Dice_Runt Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:27 pm

KingdomCome wrote:Infinity is definitely cheaper, but if you want to try out WHFB first go for it. 40k doesn't have tiers....

lol
Dice_Runt
Dice_Runt
Dark Apostle

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlos Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:37 am

Sounds like a fun game, I'll take a look into it but I'm actually favoring WHFB now. I've been wanting to get into it for some time. Send me the link to the infinity site so I can take a look at their stuff.
Carlos
Carlos
Traitor Guardsman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:30 am

http://www.infinitythegame.com/infinity/en/ Very Happy
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male
Armies : 40K: Tau, Eldar, SM FoW: Americans & Russians Infinity: Combined Army of EI WM/H: TrollBloods

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlos Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:54 am

I wanna see the rules and well armies, the models look pretty ballin' though!
Are they pre-painted?
Carlos
Carlos
Traitor Guardsman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomCome Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:20 am

The rules are free in the same website. The models are supplied unpainted.
KingdomCome
KingdomCome
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:58 am

Carlos wrote:Sounds like a fun game, I'll take a look into it but I'm actually favoring WHFB now. I've been wanting to get into it for some time. Send me the link to the infinity site so I can take a look at their stuff.

Honestly stick with WHFB. See ow this infinity thing pans out. Ive seen all this hoopla before for other game systems. Warmachine,AT-43,Battletech. One minute 8+ people are playing the game and within a couple of months its dead. Youll have a couple of players who continue to play, but the game is dead. With Warmachine half of the group lost interest and the other half started going somewhere else. I invested in all three of the above systems and watched them disappear. Granted I cant play often(at the store), but I witnessed their demise. I sold off the Warmachine and the other stuff languishes in my garage. Fantasy has at least a few core gamers youll be able to meet up with and play...Luis(The Young),Bill(Shadow) and Dan(Scurrdi) to name a few.

See how Infinity pans out and then if all is well give it a go.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by zephel Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:12 am

i've been thinking about fantasy as well, but the only interesting army to me is tomb kings
zephel
zephel
Dark Apostle

Male
Number of posts : 454
Armies : Eldar, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2010-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:13 am

Throw Nate (Dice_Runt) in that mix to.

From what it sounds like your interests, I'd say go with Warriors of Chaos. They have some nice monsters and such, along-side rock hard infantry and also some cannon fodder units. That, and they are pretty competitive in this edition, so your games will be enjoyable at least!

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlos Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:32 am

Sweet, I was thinking I'd end up playing Warrios of Chaos particularly a Khorne/Slaneesh army.

and I had mentioned initially Daemons cause the fateweaver model is pretty badass.
Carlos
Carlos
Traitor Guardsman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:08 am

One of the advantages of Fantasy (and to some extent with 40k) is that you can use models with little conversion work to be main centerpieces in your army. For the most part, as long as it's done well, most people won't care or give you any crap for it.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by McSheehy Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:13 am

Since no one has actually answered the questions you asked I'll give it a go myself.
First up though is that if you aren't too familiar with 7th edition a run down of the many changes (some large, many small) isn't really necessary.
Actually that's something easier to talk about in person than write about in a forum post.

As to the armies:
Warriors of Chaos - this gorup has the capacity to be the most straight forwards and at times easiest to play armies while still remaining very powerful.
They have the most powerful, rock solid basic infantry in the game with the Chaos warriors. But it also has expendable troops in the form of marauders.
Hounds and Marauder cavalry provide the army with flankers and general harassment units.
The have very powerful cavalry with the Chaos knight (and the army has chariots to aid the knights as well).
And the army also has many big nasties with Trolls and Ogres for monstrous infantry and giants for that something larger.
They also have a rather interesting for of warmachine with the Hellcannon... granted outside of magic that is your only form of ranged combat.
And to add to all this you have the marks of the 4 gods that you can apply here and there (all have their uses depending upon what you plan to do with them)
While strong the Chaos army is also really expensive and it might be difficult to cram everything that insterest you into a single army at times (unless you're playing really big point matches).

Daemons of Chaos - Actually I can't comments on this army too much as I only glanced at their book a couple of times (I was more interested in the story elements rather than in the army itself). You'll have alot of choices with the army in the various god's daemons to use... but I believe they still have the instability issue... I can't remember. Hopefully one of the guys more familiar with the army will acutally come along and help you understand them better.

Dark Elves - okay first waring with these guys is be careful. Like any of the elven armies in Warhammer Dark Elves are your glass-jawed fighters.
The have the ability to pack quiet a punch on the enemy, but they really can't take it in return. So you'd have to be clever in how and when you use your army's attributes.
They actually have dependable basic core infantry (if used in worthwhile numbers) wielding either spears or repeater crossbows.
They also have the more specilaized corsairs (very good for hacking up large units... even more so with their special character added in).
There are some rather good specialty units with Executioners, Black Guard, and Cold One Knights.
You of course have the Hydra and there are also the Dragons and Manticors for character mounts.
One benefit to mention is that Dark Elves usually are one of the very strong magic races in the game and Dark Magic is nothing to sneer at even with the revamp to the lores in the main rule book. While it may not be as powerful in comparison as it once was its still rather nasty if used well.

Lizardmen - another powerful magic race, but also one that has a strong army to use as well.
Saurus warriors as some of the best core infantry in the entire game with their only big downside being that they have a very low initiative. But they usually are well armed and have above average fighting stats boosted by their cold-blooded rule (the get to roll 3d6 for leadership and pick the lowest 2).
Mix this all up with skinks for harassment, Kroxigors for monstours infantry, stegadons for an nasty shock attack value and you have a rather tough army.
And while the Lizardman army can be rather expensive in points you can still usually field a good mixing of the various attributes.
Actually of many players I would say Nate is the guy to talk about since he has played the Lizardmen since their reincarnation back in the 5th edition of the game.

Tomb Kings - since their book is getting redone and people haven't had to much of a chance to really see what those changes will mean (and won't until May).
I'd say hold off until May if you're really interested in them. Some of the changes have added new stuff to the army and altered how old elements used to works... so they've become something of an unknown once more.

I just noticed the time... I need to take my mom to the hospital for one of her appointments... I'll finish this up later.

McSheehy
Traitor Marine

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2009-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:26 am

I'll give you a breakdown on your final 3 -
It's always going to flex based on the build, but these are the general themes of each army.

WoC - excellent close combat, good defense, good magic. Almost no shooting (Hellcannon + an occational ability or breath weapon).

Lizzies - excellent magic (Slann), good CC and defense (Big Dinos, Saurus, Krox), good shooting (Skinks, Lizzies).

Tomb Kings - Hard to say with the new book, but based off new book leaks..... Good magic, good CC, fair shooting, low D. The Tomb Kings are about RELIABILITY. Shooting is steady and uneffected modifiers, undead units don't break, undead are uneffected by fear, Incantations always cast. One other option the TK have the other two do not is War Machines. Skull Catapults are awesome. New Casket of Souls rules are pending, but I expect it to still cause mega issues.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:30 am

Another note - If your want a GW metal model or unit - get it now.
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by McSheehy Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:58 pm

Okay now, picking up where I left off... what's left?
Right Orcs & Goblins and Beastmen... hmm...

Beastmen - an army that lots of crazy big creatures mixed with hordes of guys is a good way to sum up what the Beastmen have become.
You have your basic Gors, the more expendable but still useful Ungors, and the more elite Bestigors.
Along with them you have the really nasty Minotaurs, various giant boars, and a couple different types of giants as well.
And they still have cavalry (centigors) and chariots (which I believe are core now).
Like with all the Chaos armies Beastmen lack in ranged combat but make up for with hard hitting close combat and some rather nasty spells.

Orcs & Goblins - of all the armies you listed this one is the quintessential horde of the lot.
I have many fond memories of this army since I've played them off and on since 5th ed.
Biggest downside to the army is that there are way too many choices and its sometimes hard to pick and focus when building an army.
Nonetheless the Greenskins have plenty of expendable troops with the Goblins (common or night) and the tougher and slightly more reliable Orcs (regular or savage).
But there are the Big Un's (an upgrade to a single unit of orcs) and the hard hitting and much more dependable Black Orcs.
They also have a variety of Trolls (regular, stone or river) for you monstrous infantry
Giants and now the Arachnarork for you really big bads.
You still have plenty of other variety with the army with fast cavalry wolf & spider riders, heavy cavalry orc boar riders, chariots (both orc & goblin types... and even the rather odd Snotling Pump Wagon), odd units like the squig herders & hoppers, Warmachines a plenty... and all of they able to self destruct on you in a heartbeat.
Now there is the animosity factor to take into consideration which can be a hinderance (though funny when your army starts beating itself up).
Their magic isn't anything to take lightly either.

I hope all this has helped some

McSheehy
Traitor Marine

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2009-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Check out my auction .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140532718596&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlos Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:05 am

Shit Roka, if you don't end up selling it over ebay let me know. I've always wanted the Shaggoth model!
And McSheehy thanks for the description, I've narrowed it down to Warriors of chaos and Lizardmen as for the rest I'll just nit pick models from the other armies for display.
Carlos
Carlos
Traitor Guardsman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dice_Runt Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:37 pm

Lizardmen can be a blast to play also i found that they are one of the best starting armies to play.
Dice_Runt
Dice_Runt
Dark Apostle

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlos Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:20 pm

Giant Stegadon's are awesome and so are velociraptors...
Carlos
Carlos
Traitor Guardsman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down