The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RANT: We need venue alternatives!

+22
grix
Dan
Diosamblet
rokassan
Death_Company_Orks
hliddle
Kyle
luis the young
DarkAngel_Cesar
jerryb
ptlax23
Hurricane
ImAShakiraholic
chef xenos
The Eldar Guy
feen039
Valhalla114
scurrdi
NurgleNick
Ovich
ShadowMaster
Vycem
26 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

RANT: We need venue alternatives! - Page 6 Empty Re: RANT: We need venue alternatives!

Post by NurgleNick Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:11 pm

Sorry I came across as being mean. I meant no offense by the 'ass-kissing' part. I'm fine with paying the 2 bucks when I play there, until I fix up an alternative -- I'm just not fine with not being able to speak about the plan in a public venue, which it sounded like you were trying to discourage us from.

In any case, I have a few people lined up to help create an 'official' gaming club on FIU. I just wanna see if it would be easier to just make use of unused space for free, if possible... and, going by the few people I've spoken to in the offices, it seems like it would be fine. Could even be an 'every day of the week' thing.
NurgleNick
NurgleNick
Dark Apostle

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2008-09-03

Back to top Go down

RANT: We need venue alternatives! - Page 6 Empty Re: RANT: We need venue alternatives!

Post by luis the young Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:17 pm

One thing FIU has lots of, is empty classrooms.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by ar2 Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:13 pm

NurgleNick wrote:In any case, I have a few people lined up to help create an 'official' gaming club on FIU. I just wanna see if it would be easier to just make use of unused space for free, if possible... and, going by the few people I've spoken to in the offices, it seems like it would be fine. Could even be an 'every day of the week' thing.

This would be awesome! Count me in, and I'm sure I can speak for a lot of my WM/H gamer friends that I play with on a regular basis. Having not only GW games represented, but others as well would help grow and strengthen our anaemic gaming community. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help set this up, and I'll be more than happy to speak with the rest of the WM/H guys.

An 'every day of the week' thing would be beyond belief!

ar2
Traitor Marine

Male
Number of posts : 196
Armies : Cygnar and Retribution(Warmachine), Trollblood(Hordes)
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by ptlax23 Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:57 pm

jerry, completely agree, unfortunately don't know if joel will say this to ur face but his point to me was that people who kept losing all the time probably shouldn't play anyways ( didn't mean it at you), i don't get that point but it's his point none the less so hopefully you got across but who knows on that one. Oh and nick, its all good, and ur FIU plan sounds like its getting better, good luck
ptlax23
ptlax23
Traitor Marine

Male
Number of posts : 126
Armies : Black Templars,Grey Knights, Skaven,Bretonnians
Registration date : 2009-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by grix Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:07 pm

ptlax23 wrote:jerry, completely agree, unfortunately don't know if joel will say this to ur face but his point to me was that people who kept losing all the time probably shouldn't play anyways ( didn't mean it at you), i don't get that point but it's his point none the less so hopefully you got across but who knows on that one. Oh and nick, its all good, and ur FIU plan sounds like its getting better, good luck

The only way to get better is to play more often. If you play more often you tend to get better and as a result buy more items. The fact that he is saying people should quite baffles me, because if people stop playing, who will be paying for his light bill?

grix
Cultist

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:13 pm

but his point to me was that people who kept losing all the time probably shouldn't play anyways

That's fucked up right there if he really said that.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by NurgleNick Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:19 pm

Joel is a peculiar man.

And by peculiar I mean...
NurgleNick
NurgleNick
Dark Apostle

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2008-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Somebody brought up an issue with FIU parking being $1.00 per hour for non-students. Is this true? What's the story on parking?
Dan
Dan
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:53 pm

This may surprise some follow players, but I really do not want to improve my gaming. IF I really wanted to improve, I would not suck after three years of pretty consistant gaming.
I play to have fun. And yes I have and do get "steam" after a loss, that I do want to improve. I want my opponent to also have an enjoyable game, and being a bad sport gives nothing to the experience. I am only human with emotions and not a robot. I would rather improve my attuide and sportsmanship, then learn how to crush my opponent with an UBER army list.

So, back to the topic. There is going to be a major announcement on this subject, I do want to speak for Joel, and I am not an employee and I am not for ANY store ANYWHERE.

But I believe Joel has seen my logic and I do not have details right now, but you will have options. Something to effect of, if you want to play in the league you can or you can pay a flat rate with no limits to what game or how many games, and so forth. It is still in discussion.

So continue with the FIU option and I will continue my talks with Joel. Everybody should win, at least that is always the outcome I work towards.

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1451
Armies : AT-43, Pyrates, Battle Tech
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:23 pm

Unless you have a student parking permit, you have to pay for parking I believe at FIU, at least thats how it was when I went to FIU years ago.
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by grix Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:58 pm

I do not mind paying table fee. 2 dollars is fine, but at the same time to call it a league is not good. Leagues are supposed to run for a couple of months, with everyone playing round robin to determine who wins the league. Think of it like a very long drawn out tournament.

If things do change, I would like too see if we can get something like that started, to where each week you have a different opponent, with the top dog at the end of the league takes a small prize. Then we start over. This would also promote for new players to get into the hobby, as generally they start with 500 point armies and run all the way to 2000. Promoting learning how to play with new armies, building armies, painting them.

grix
Cultist

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:18 pm

I think not matter what Joel does people will complain. If he stops the league and calls it a table fee people will cry,if he doesn't people will piss and moan. I've talked to Joel he wants to accomodate people, but no matter what he does positive people complain. Gabe order special order items Joel has trouble selling and then decides to only buy a tiny bit and Joel explains what the issue is and Gabe buys the stuff and then he(Gabe) loses his mind and splinters the Warmachine community. Come up with a viable alternative or system and propose it to Joel or quit crying. Not aimed at you Grix.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BigEddy Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:41 pm

The league is now optional. the $2 dollar table fee is mandatory, you decide whether it counts toward points, or whether its a just for fun game. So everyone who said here they don't care about $2 and that the league concept was what bothered you, you are completely free to throw away 2 dollars you will never see part of again, and the rest of us who don't care can go on gaming, paying a table fee, and getting something in return for being regular customers.

On a separate note, Parking in FIU is a dollar an hour, up to 4 hours. unless you're a student.
BigEddy
BigEddy
Cultist

Male
Number of posts : 59
Armies : LoTR (WoTR)
Registration date : 2009-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:45 pm

You may think I'm throwing it away, but I'm much happier having the freedom to learn a new game (WFB) and trying new things without having money riding on it, because then I know the person playing me is playing me for fun and because they're being nice about helping me learn the game vs out to beat my face and make money off of me. I don't care what people say, but games stop being "for fun" when there's money involved.

BigEddy wrote:The league is now optional. the $2 dollar table fee is mandatory, you decide whether it counts toward points, or whether its a just for fun game. So everyone who said here they don't care about $2 and that the league concept was what bothered you, you are completely free to throw away 2 dollars you will never see part of again, and the rest of us who don't care can go on gaming, paying a table fee, and getting something in return for being regular customers.

On a separate note, Parking in FIU is a dollar an hour, up to 4 hours. unless you're a student.

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by BigEddy Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:03 am

I don't know how fantasy players and 40k players play, but the WotR players aren't like that. Actually, I think that's a gross generalization of the gaming community.

Plenty of sunshine's WotR players have fantasy and 40k armies, and I couldn't imagine them taking a $2 game and "beating your face off to make money off of you"

Maybe the problem isn't Joel's rules, but the people you choose to play with, or your perception of them anyways. Even at the WotR tournaments where *gasp* five dollars are involved I feel comfortable and have fun, and people are nice and help me learn the game (okay so they point out mistakes after beating me, but it's a tournament, my point is people will be nice, have fun, and help you learn the game, even if they intend to win)

Honestly, its completely beyond me why anyone would forego a system where their money comes back to them (albeit in store credit) for a straight fee. I mean play the game for fun and tell Joel it was a tie, I doubt he cares, he's still giving out 20 points total. (and really, by standard rules in most, or all, games, if both parties agree to a draw, its a draw, so you're not lying or breaking rules)

Your issue seems more deeply rooted in your opponents (or your perception of them, as i don't want to assume anything about anybody) than it is with Joel' system. He could have charged us 2 dollars from the get. instead he uses a system that rewards his customers for coming more frequently.

Here's your (fairer and smarter?) alternative to Joel's oppressive system (that pays you back) So you don't have to feel bad about having your face bashed in anymore (unless you suck, Joel can't fix that) So everyone can be happy now, right?
BigEddy
BigEddy
Cultist

Male
Number of posts : 59
Armies : LoTR (WoTR)
Registration date : 2009-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by ptlax23 Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:49 am

i agree most people aren't playing competitive lists in "league play" games just playing whatever, trust me they can get far more cheesy, especially in fantasy, unless ur george who plays an eldar tourney list against a twelve year old playing for the first time...true story
ptlax23
ptlax23
Traitor Marine

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:45 am

So that's the big announcement?

The league fee is now optional but there's still a 2 dollar table fee?

What a fucking joke.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:29 am

Well, Ovich the way you were pissing and moaning like your nuts were being step on by an elephant, yes it shoud be a big thing.

But I already knew whatever the outcome, you wouldn't like it short of Joel giving the contents of the store away for free and giving you a thousand dollars to make up for your lost time in carrying the boxes to your car by yourself.

I am agreement with the two dollar table fee.

BigEddy, there are players who are cheesy who ONLY want to WIN, and get there fun from totally crushing their opponents.

But the most important outcome, is now we have options, were before we did not.

Proceed with the FIU gaming club. But I don't understand the benifit if the two dollar fee was upsetting you, now you will have to spend a dollar an hour for parking.

Of course you could complain to FIU, "How dare you charge a fee for parking, I am gracing you with my wonderful person, you have not right to charge a fee"! I don't think you will get the same response as you did with Sunshine.

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:32 am

Ah, one more note to add to the fee business from Joel ( I spoke with him on the phone as I was looking to change out some of my tournament winnings from Sunday).

If you choose to do the league thing (make your games for points) then in order to gain points you have to play someone else who is paying for the league fee. I believe this is to discourage what vycem was talking about.

Also, you make the choice at the beginning of the day, not when your done playing.

Thats all I got.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:46 am

Just agree to a tie for points as said previously. It isn't some new thing.
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1571
Armies : Eldar(40k & BFG), Dark Eldar (WIP), & Dark Elves
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by ptlax23 Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:54 am

could u imagine everyone just telling joel at the end of the night..."Draw, Draw, Draw" 3 months later everyone collects on credit, that would suck
ptlax23
ptlax23
Traitor Marine

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:56 am

So you paid before for table fee and league, now your paying just for the table? What?
Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eldar Guy Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:57 am

It doesn't matter if someone ties or someone wins.
Draw: 10pts & 10pts
Win/loss: 15pts & 5pts

Both are, to joel, 20pts earned.
The Eldar Guy
The Eldar Guy
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1571
Armies : Eldar(40k & BFG), Dark Eldar (WIP), & Dark Elves
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by ptlax23 Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:03 am

I get the 20 points thing, but i just think it would be great if everyone just accumulated them equally, it would just be funny when its credit time
ptlax23
ptlax23
Traitor Marine

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:20 am

Yes, if everyone declared a draw every game that would totally destroy the ponzi scam.

Kyle, now you can just pay a table fee, unlimited games (you can play different gamse the same day). You do not get any points for the League, so no store credit. This is an option. So one day you can play league, the next time just table fee. Whatever method, you must state which at the START, not after you win a game and you opponent must be using the same method.

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next