The Traitor Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RANT: We need venue alternatives!

+22
grix
Dan
Diosamblet
rokassan
Death_Company_Orks
hliddle
Kyle
luis the young
DarkAngel_Cesar
jerryb
ptlax23
Hurricane
ImAShakiraholic
chef xenos
The Eldar Guy
feen039
Valhalla114
scurrdi
NurgleNick
Ovich
ShadowMaster
Vycem
26 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

RANT: We need venue alternatives! - Page 8 Empty Re: RANT: We need venue alternatives!

Post by NurgleNick Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:18 pm

I feel more compelled to make purchases from a store owner who doesn't make me uncomfortable. I have money. Joel's job is to convince me, through atmosphere, customer service, friendliness, and merchandise variety, to spend my money. So far, he's doing a very, very poor job of it.
NurgleNick
NurgleNick
Dark Apostle

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2008-09-03

Back to top Go down

RANT: We need venue alternatives! - Page 8 Empty Re: RANT: We need venue alternatives!

Post by Kyle Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:39 pm

Kyle
Kyle
Chaos God

Number of posts : 1433
Armies : Infinity-Yu Jing, Heavy Gear-North, 40K-IG/Orks, Uncharted Seas-Shroud Mages, FoW-SS, AM Naval-Japanese, Hordes-Trolls, Blood Bowl-Goblins, Malifaux- Guild, Anima-Azure, BFG- Chaos, Dystopian Wars- Brits
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by ptlax23 Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:47 pm

that last post says it all at this point
ptlax23
ptlax23
Traitor Marine

Male
Number of posts : 126
Armies : Black Templars,Grey Knights, Skaven,Bretonnians
Registration date : 2009-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:49 pm

LOL. Aahhh Michael, keep eating your popcorn and enjoying the show. You rapscallion, you.
Dan
Dan
Traitor Captain

Male
Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:16 pm

Oh well, I tried to do a little rabble rousing... but I guess people are willing to accept mediocrity.

Such is life... Sad
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Number of posts : 2629
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:37 pm

Excuse me, but what we have is below mediocrity.
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:14 am

Ovich wrote:Oh well, I tried to do a little rabble rousing... but I guess people are willing to accept mediocrity.

Such is life... Sad

Stephan and Nick last time I checked you guy have benefitted enormously from the league. Both of you win consistantly. Stephan last I hear people didn't want you playing in the Fantasy tournament because your such a cheese master and rules lawyer. You guys are part of the reason Endre doesn't like the league. Your the cheese heads that pound opponents into the ground to get your credit or win a tournament. So I ask why are you so fucking concerned about the league. I understand why Endre and Jerry may not like it...Jerry's troops can't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. But you guys are bitching just to bitch.
It seems to me because of your issues with Joel your cutting your nose off to spite your face.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:46 am

OMFG BILL... you still don't get the fact that it's not about the 2 fucking dollars or the 30 dollar store credit. It's about trying to create a better gaming environment.

A year and a half ago when the Dragon was breathing down Joels neck look at all the wonderful changes that happened. Joel pushed his wall back, sort of fixed the AC, bought a T.V, made more space on the sides, fixed up his register area, bought new terrain, even cleaned up his bathroom !. On top of that, you had a choice of whether to pay 2 dollars and be in the league or not. You also had a choice of where you wanted to play.

Now it seems things have crept back to the way things were before the dragon opened that led to such discontent. The sides of the store are always full of crap and inventory. The AC always seems like it's on the fritz. The bathroom cleaning stalled. The T.V is busted. But just to throw salt in the wound, now you have no choice, you have to pay 2 bucks to play.

To me it just feels like a kick in the gums, especially to those gamers who remained loyal to Joel during the time that the Dragon was opened.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male
Armies : Iron Warriors, Empire, Woodelves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Mid War Italians, Late War Soviets, Skorne

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:26 am

Well, i spoke to Joel on wenesday and what i got from it is that is NOT mandatory to pay $2 to play, wether it goes to league play or not.
One thing that changed is that if you want a game to count towards the league play, then the other guy also has to be playing for league play.
Another thing he mentioned is that you must decide ahead of time wether you are going to play for league or not, not come after you won 3 games at the end of the day and go "hey btw, here is my $2 for the league".

If i remember corectly (my memmory is not to good sometimes) he never mentioned that it was mandotory $2 fee to use a table.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Number of posts : 2971
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:29 am

Seems like we're getting some conflicted messages..

Bill you wanna find out once and for all? Although I'm probably going by there tomorrow.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:33 am

"totally unrelated to the thread"

Hey stefan, i liked the Hebrew Hammer avatar better than this one, it had more chracter !
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male
Armies : Orks, Space Wolves, O&G, Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Tyranids, FOW Peasant Canibal Army

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:40 am

I should play the dwarves. The "jews" of the fantasy world.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:56 am

Stephen, you are re-writing history. Joel did move the rear wall back, Jerry and Will moved the wall back. Joel did not fixed up the register area, Jerry fixed up the register area up (twice)! Joel did not fixed up the board game shelving, Jerry fixed up the board gaming and so on....

Joel did get the TV but, Jerry put up. Joel did put and re-order the FOW shelving (Will fixed up the FOW paint area and book section). There are several other items, but most of the work was done by me with Joel handing me a hammer or small effort on his part. I have taken an active constructive course to improving things and not just complaining and contributing nothing to community.

All this happen over a span of 3 years (2006 to 2009). Yes some of it happen due to other stores (not just Dragons).

But most from me constantly trying to get Joel to improve his store, and not by me instulting him (although we both have had our moments). A lot came right out of my wallet with no compensation from anybody. I truly (although lately I am changing) that we needed Sunshine to stay in business to have a gaming resource.

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1451
Armies : AT-43, Pyrates, Battle Tech
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by scurrdi Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:32 am

From what Joel told ME on Wednesday, lol, is that you pay $2 regardless. Everything else Luis said is true, about league and who you play against for points, etc. etc.

scurrdi
Chaos God

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:55 pm

I think it changes day to day.... or person to person Laughing
Hurricane
Hurricane
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 1622
Armies : Mormon Crusaders,Sisters of Battle, Lizardmen, British and Fallschirmjager
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:10 pm

Everyone agree's on this (Joel included) Joel is one of the most dis-organized human beings anyone has meet.

Remember, there is over a dozen brains working against him on this issue.

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ptlax23 Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:49 pm

Just got one last thing to say on this point, and I think most will agree, it's all fine and good to rant a little on the boards, but it's bullshit that certain people are just going to joel and letting him know exactly who is saying shit and what they're saying, I wasn't thrilled to be confronted about it and i'm sure neither are the other people who have been or probably will be, i have defended joel on some points and disagreed with him on others, SO HAS EVERYONE ELSE! so the people throwing names joels way quit that shit cause its : A: being a hipocrit(spelling sucks) and B: just annoying
ptlax23
ptlax23
Traitor Marine

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by luis the young Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:58 pm

Joel visits the board from time to time, i dont think anyone mentioned any names..at least im hoping so.
luis the young
luis the young
The Lord of Cuba
The Lord of Cuba

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:27 pm

It is a public forum, he has lurk before, and none of this is really new, he knows pretty much what everyone says about him, hence the reason he is not on now.

I have always confronted him in person about all issue. I reminded him that I had discussed this very issue with over two years ago, he can not recall.

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ptlax23 Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:53 pm

its not joel lurking, he's told me who's out there talking shit about everyone on this thread, if he's lurking whatever i could care less but my point from before was there are a couple people who wanna be joel's informant or some shit and thats pretty amazing of them seeing as how they are on this thread themselves!
ptlax23
ptlax23
Traitor Marine

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovich Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:07 pm

Jerry,

I know you've put alot of hard work into that store. and I commend you for it.. and I apologize for my lewd comment before, it was inappropriate. I was just upset that you feel all I'm doing is complaining.

What you've done for Joel, you've done out of the goodness of your heart and a desire to see the community grow. But not all of us have the time or the desire to help someone who doesn't seem to want to help themselves. I've offered Joel lots' of ideas, but he never takes any of them seriously.

So I bid this long and horrendously ineffective thread adieu, and hope that over time, things get better.
Ovich
Ovich
Lord of Chaos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vycem Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:39 pm

So I had a lengthy talk with Joel. Imagine my surprise when he confronted me about this thread - I'm not sure if he's reading or people are talking or what, but hey, at least he's involved and I stand by what I said.

I explained my side, he explained his, and I've been paying careful attention to this thread.

This is what he told me with regards to the new league system: we either pay $2 to be entered in the league or just $2 for a table rental fee for the games. Both players have to agree beforehand to count it as a league game before it can count for league, upside is you can get your points, etc. Otherwise it's a non-league game. The upside of the non-league game I believe (other than not having the pressure of money at stake) is that you can play different games on the same day. Woo I say. Woo.
He mentioned he was against one person playing league and one not, and I agree. How is it a friendly game if one person has money riding on it?

On the point of there being a fee, period: When I initially started this thread, I was leaning towards there not being a fee on the basis that this is an expensive hobby already and the accommodations are not the best. After reading this thread, talking to him, and giving the matter some thought, I have backed off that position.

At the end of the day, there is ONE game store in Miami, the rest are quite a drive off. And say what we will about Sunshine, but it does offer some things:
1. Real terrain. I've been doing research, and there aren't many stores that spend the money setting up real terrain to play with. Granted, we're partly indebted to Jerry for this, but the fact that we have SEVERAL realms of battle boards as well as official GW terrain is amazing compared to what some other stores offer. I mean, I've seen him scraping away the top of a table with a razor blade just to install those side boards.
2. 20% discount. LOTS of stores don't give any discounts. Not to mention he gives discounts on lots of other games too.
3. He works with the customers to a degree to get them what they want. Hell, he offers Layaway! Did you guys know that? I didn't. He told this to a coworker of mine I got to try WFB and went to buy his very first unit.
4. Flexible hours. I didn't realize so many gaming stores closed early until I researched it.

So yeah, while there are plenty of negatives to the store, I have to step back and grudgingly acknowledge what it does have. If we're honest about it, he doesn't have to do any of the above because lets face it...we don't have other options except maybe for shopping. But without a neutral hub, we can't meet other gamers and get games going.

Plus lets face it: the internet undercuts his sales. A LOT of people shop online. Even I'm guilty of jumping on a totally sweet deal when I run into one. But I do try to support the store and purchase from it on a somewhat regular basis. I mean, we've all seen plenty of stores go belly up, I feel it's in my best interest to throw some support to keep such a place going. Hell, whenever I go out of town and find a gaming store, I'll try to throw a few bucks their way (though minimally since they usually charge retail).

We talk about how the store could do all these things to become a true Nerdvana, and I wish I was more like Jerry in taking a proactive stance in bettering it, but I have to admit that it would really suck to have NO gaming store in Miami. That's why I know I have to compromise. I disagree that we can all "ban together" to browbeat Joel into...well...into what? We can't make him get a larger venue, or fix an AC unless he has the money for it.

Do I still feel we should look into having other play venues? Yes. I don't like having all my eggs in one basket, and I too have been annoyed that there was a Magic tournament when I wanted to get a game in.

Last edited by Vycem on Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Vycem
Primarch

Male
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by rokassan Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:52 pm

Well spoken. You summed it all up. We want the world, but want to give nothing back in return. Simply sitting in the store and breathing doesn't pay Joels bills. Ask Israel if that method worked. By the way he put a brand new AC in a few days ago.
rokassan
rokassan
Internet bully

Male
Number of posts : 3612
Armies : [40k]Chaos SpaceMarines,IG,Orks,Chaos Demons[FoW]MW-Italians,LW-Pnz.Gren(Grossdeutchland Div.),LW U.S.Para's,[Fantasy]Orc's [LotR] Easterling force,FoW-EW French force.(LW and MW) Hungarian Tank company.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

https://splinterfaction.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMaster Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:28 am

Well said Andre
ShadowMaster
ShadowMaster
Chaos God

Male
Number of posts : 2812
Armies : [WHFB] DoC, Lizardmen, O&G [LoTR] Moria [40k] Daemons [WM/H] RoS, Cryx, Cygnar, Mercs, Gators, Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryb Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:26 pm

Kudos, to Andre, for your presentation of the facts and being fair.

Ovich, no problem buddy, I am not thin skin, wether in jest, fustration or insult (not that I am claiming thats what you meant), anybody at anytime can say anything to me and I will take as is and make my decision on how to respond which I think is approiate at that time.

I just get fustrated at times when I see all of these disscussions on this forum and I think, "well do something if it bothers you that much". This is not directed to any one person, it applies to everyone who complains and does nothing to invoke change.

Talk must be combine with action or nothing changes.

I live be my words, and act on my believe.

I know I am not the most pleasant, happy person to deal with, I am trying to improve. So if I upset you, I am truly sorry, my intent is never to upset you. Again this is direct at no one in particular.

Unless you are an asshole, then the gloves are off. Any if you are pussy and want to hide behind this PUBLIC forum then don't say shit.

JerryB
jerryb
jerryb
Chaos God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next